#1 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

Right, in a little bit of a quandry here..

The next build of the 1330 is going a little more extreem, with the slark race head ( ports you could fit the Titanic into, and valves to match ), and the CR's probably going to be about 12:1 using 21253's

so what about the cam, at the moment, I have the choice of a Kent 290 ( currently in the engine ) and very nice it is to... a piper 300, or the Kent 598 neither of which I have every tried..

Has anyone else ?

And should I consider changing the pistons for something more exhotic ???

#2 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

Best place to ask :

CLICK

:w00t:

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the link, but it don't work, and I've been on there before. I also think that pointing someone away from a forum to a company sponsored forum is a little bad form.. maybe Doddie could register himself here instead ???

I think I have asked the question in the right place, just not necessarily the right people reading it..

#4 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:52 AM

Your choice. It may be a company sponsored forum but there is no pressure to use them and you will get an honest answer from one of the most knowledgable guys in the country !!

Good Luck !

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Ok, all the other posts HAVEN'T been deleted, they can be found here. I think its in a very apt section!

If one of the other mods sees fit to close it, or move it to the junkyard then thats upto them. Personally, as you can see from my forum, I prefer and allow a bit more of a liberal freedom of speech. Although I do admit that it can be damaging to the forum and personally I think Guessworks is a top chap who's helped many a person during his time on the forum.

Oh, and I'll add that if there is anything else posted on this thread, that is off topic, not only will your posted be deleted, but you'll also getting a warning from yours truly.

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Anyway, I have never had experience of the 598 cam, I have heard it is lairy though! I guess running a high CR like 12:1 on a revvy little motor it'll be somewhat smoothed out. What sort of revs does the 598 become usable at? Do you have any flow rates from the head to know at what specific valve lift maximum flow is achieved? I guess it aint worth opening the valve .5" if they peak out at .480" lift, so opening them longer duration is the only way! Dunno about the Piper 300 cam, what sort of lumpiness does that give?

I guess really, it's down to what sort of rev range you want to use, if you want something that's good from 2500 rpm to 7500 rpm the Kent should offer that shouldn't it?

Sorry if this post doesn't help much, I don't have great amounts of experience with mini camshafts, but I would like to see what is recommended for this purpose! :o

Edited by jammy_basturd, 16 February 2006 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users