18 replies to this topic

#1 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Ok.. This started when a beach towel decided it liked the fan, so it went in there and broke the belt! Replaced the belt and the kind of eerie whistling started. Doesnt do it at idle, increases as rpm increases. I checked the vac line which turned out to be fine, even put a hose clamp on the ends just incase. Is it possable the alternator is singing, and what would this indicate? The old fan belt was shot anyway so it needed replacing. The radio is off so the whistling is not coming through the speakers.
Thanks for your help!

Its kind of cool, sounds like a supercharger....... although actually having a supercharger would be much cooler!!! :o

#2 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hi, is your new belt tensioned properly, if its to tight it will make a whisling noise, if it is too tight slacken it off straight away because your alternator bearings will wear very quickly.
P.S. the new smilies are cool! :o

#3 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

I didnt think it was too tight, i can push on the belt slightly. Before i put the new belt on, the ignition light would occasionaly come on very dim. that does not happen any more. i will try loosening it slightly though

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

Stupid question but you have put the fan on the right way round?

#5 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

yes the fan is on the right way, just checked the tension of the belt and it has plenty of play in it. slackened it up a bit more to the point where i an pretty easily turn the altenator with the belt on. still whistling and its deff. the altenator. I brought the idle up to where it is really screaming and listened around. How much longer can i expect out of it before it goes to poo? I have to go on a trip about 175 miles next week...

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

is it a whistling or more of a squeeling?

because i think that it could point to the water pump being on its way out

#7 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

Deff. a whistling. I dont have a screwdriver long enough to listen to the water pump, but i did just give a listen to the altenator and just herd the normal "klackity klack". Unfortunately I think you are right :o would replacing the water pump involve removing the engine??? :crazy: and if it is the water pump about how much longer can i expect before meltdown.........
If only I had a million dollars!!!

#8 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

There aren't any holes or cracks in any of the fan blades are there ?

Jimmy

#9 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Replacing the water pump involves , removing upper radiator bracket pushing rad away from engine and removing the fan, lossening the bypass hose clips, i think removing the alternator, and then you should be abled to unbolt the water pump from the side of the block, Not sure of the exact precedure but can be done with the engine in situ.

#10 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

No cracks that I can find, but the fan did get a little roughed up from the towel incedent... Thinking about it that could absolutely be whistling!!!! Heres a pic..

And Im a pilot....... i should of thought of that. If you guys agree that this is the source of the whistle, then I guess I just have a cool whistling mini. This noise happened once before a long time ago when it was raining. I know my dads minivan's roof rack whistles when its wet

Attached Files

#11 Monkeh

Monkeh

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

mine makes this noise too just after i tightened up the belt a bit, thought it sounded like a supercharger too, sounds quite cool but havent had time to slacken it off :o

dont know if that fan would make such a noise??

#12 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

Guess the only way to find out is to run the engine without the fan but I haven't got a clue how you would do that !

It makes sense that it only happens at higher RPM though.....

Anyone know if its possible to stop the fan spinning around without taking it off ?

Jimmy

#13 mini-mad-dan

mini-mad-dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

put a large pole in it! lol(obviosly don't do this)
:o

#14 minipickup144

minipickup144

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

HELLO!!
My water pump resently went. its whisled but very quitly! Its easy to fix. 3 bolts on top of rad and one big one at bottom (all 11 and 13mm) take of pipes and drain rad. Take of one bolt from altanator and 4 botls from fan and then theres 4 on the water pump. easy! get some gasket guu and a new gasket. If your any where nere wartrington, M and M's do the pumps for £15!!
hope this helps!!!!

#15 Bristolmini

Bristolmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

You can run the engine without the fan by just removing the fan belt, don't run it for long though because the water pump and alternator will also be disconnected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users