8 replies to this topic

#1 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

I had a quick search but nothing seemed too clear.

My mini is still on its 10" wheels with original bodywork (no cutting) There is about an inchs gap from the tyre and arch on the front and about 3 on the back. Which is pretty normal from what I've seen.

I want to raise the car at the front abit. Which is easily done by swapping the washer around in the knuckle (according to my dad who has done it many times) Anyone know what lift this gives the front?

But I then want to bring the back of the car down to level it off. I dont want to buy a set of Hi-Lo's unless I really have too (Budget project) So I was thinking of shortening the trumpets.

Now I know its a 5 to 1 ration (1mm cut =5mm lower right?) But the lower you go, the more it increases (levering effect)

So what I now need to know is... If I cut the trumpets on the back by 5mm, will this give me the 25mm/1" drop, or will it become more because of the levering effect?

Another thing is, if Im lowering the back 1-2", will standard shocks cope ok?

Sorry bout this :'(

#2 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Well if you are planning on taking the trumpets out anyway at the front then just replace the rubber cones and knuckle joints and can guarantee that this will restore your ride height wothout having to mess around with washers !!!

#3 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yep, but then the front will be waaaaay to far up.

The front is sorted, Just the back I need to hear about.

Cheers

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Yep, but then the front will be waaaaay to far up.

After you have done the front it might level out

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

You may be right. But I dont want it at the standard hight.

I want the front to go up maybe 10mm (which is what we think will be achieved) and the back to go down by 25mm.

The back is in question, not the front. I just want to know if cutting the trumpets on the back by 5mm will drop it 25mm? And if standard non adjustable shocks will cope fine with this?

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

Lowering the car will require the use of shorter dampers, not initialy because of them bottoming out but more to prevent the suspention falling apart when you jack the car up, or, inadvertantly get the car to leave the road (not difficult on some of the roads by me).

Cutting the trumpets to achieve the lower hight must be done carefuly and a little at a time. The cut has to be perfectly square and equal on both sides. Best bet is to have them turned in a lathe, its a more acurate way rather than trying to do it with a hack saw ( i challenge anyone to cut two pieces of metal to within 0.5mm of each other with a hack saw)

In answer to the ratio changing, yes it does alter the lower you go but if you are only going 25mm this should not be a problem. Just err on the safe side with a little less removed from the trumpet (if its not enough you can take a little more off).

Fit new knuckle joints.

The ratio should only be used as a guide to get you to a starting point with the adjustables where it can then be corrected by small amounts if it is too much, which it usualy is in my experience.

Like I said err on the safe side and remove a little less than you think.

Now I know its a 5 to 1 ration (1mm cut =5mm lower right?) But the lower you go, the more it increases (levering effect)

The front is more like 3 to 1

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

If it were me I would see were the front sits after it has settled and take it from there

And then stick hi-lows on the back if it’s still too high

#8 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

I was refering to the rear Minisprocket ;D

Cheers for the help.

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

to be honest it does sound like your front is a little low, check the condition of your springs and knuckles before you change anything and see if they need replacing.
You shouldn't put too much thickness of spacer washer under the front knuckle joints. If it's already got the standard late Rover spacer washer fitted then you shouldn't really fit any more. You reduce the amount of the knuckle being held in the trumpet, and it needs to be kept really stable. If you don't have the standard spacer in place currently then fitting it should give the 10mm increase you need. If you want to go higher then you can use Hi-Lo's or I think you can fit the spacer washer to the late spacered knuckle joints but they cost a lot more than standard knuckles. It will give you an additional 10mm again each side but at over £25.00 each these knuckles are expensive.
Once you've done the front let it settle for a while before you decide how much you want to alter the rear by. I'd probably leave it for a weeks driving. If you fit new springs as well then it will continue to settle for about three months.
Remember though that Mini's are designed to be higher at the back than the front, I personally think it looks and drives better that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users