4 replies to this topic

#1 Takeshi

Takeshi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

I have a 998cc mini saloon, '89. I have a number of problems with my mini, first the internal light, hazard light and full beam flash all went at the same time. The hazards were flashing fast before they stopped working. The other day my heater stopped working. And about 2 days before that my indicators have been playing up. At 1 point they didnt work at all, now they both work but only the right hand 1 will flash on the dash.
[indent=1]At this point i got my Haynes manual out and looked at my wiring diagram. I found that all of my problems apart from the radio were linked to my hazard switch. So i removed the hazard switch, bought a new 1 and tried it. It hasn't worked.
Should i now try a new flasher unit?
or could it be a line fuse?
Are all these problems actually linked or am i just wrong?
My radio also doesn't work since i moved it from its orginal position below the dash into the middle of it under the clock. Tomorrow im going to check all the fuses anyway.

If anyone has any answers i would greatly appreciate them, it's getting very cold in my mini with the British winter. ;D
Thanks

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

It sounds like your car is trying to tell you something!

Firest a question: does the car actually run OK?

Generally, when a lot of circuits start to go at one time it can be traced to either:
Fuse gone
A bad battery to body earth
A bad body to engine earth
A bad voltage regulator
A bad alternator
A bad ignition switch
A real bit of bad luck and about 4 switches all go at the same time!

Electrics really are the worst thing to diagnose on a forum, 'because they are next to impossible to visualise without having it in your hands!

Give them a check, and come back to us.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

The internal lamp and hazard lamps are controlled by the same fuse. An inline fuse with brown and purple/orange wires. Check that this isn't corroded inside the housing or just blown. Does your horn work? It's on the same feed (fuse 4) as the headlamp flasher so it will help you track down the problem. If it does then it's likely a problem with the lighting stalk that's stopping the flasher from working, if it doesn't work then it could be many things. The heater is on the same fuse as the wipers and tacho (fuse 3). Try removing your fuse box and cleaning all the terminals (label the wires before you remove them or make a diagram or use the diagram in haynes so you can connect it back up properly).

Hazards flash fast if either the switch is dodgy as you have tried or if a bulb is blown. As for the dash lamps, could be a blown bulb or the clock connector is coming adrift or is damp. And for the radio, how much did you adapt when you moved it?

#4 Takeshi

Takeshi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

Yes, the car does run. Yes, my horn does work. I didnt adapt it at all i used exactly the same wires just changed them from under the dash on the passengers side to the centre of the dash.

I will give all of your suggestions a go tomorrow when i remove the dash and take a proper look at the electrics.

Cheers

#5 Takeshi

Takeshi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

I have also just discovered that i have a more fundamental electrics problem.
Yesterday my car battery ran out giving on clicks when i was turning the ignition. We jump started it again today. And again it ran out of battery when i got it home. I have tested my battery with a voltmeter and is reading only 10v :withstupid:
Is this a problem with my Alternator?
Is it also linked to my above problems?

Be very greatful for the help again guys.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users