2 replies to this topic

#1 CDC23

CDC23

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I recently broke down, with what I thought was a fuel delivery issue.. the car seemed to die under load. It restarted fine... i floored it to see what would happen... it died.
So, towed it home, replaced the points, rotor arm, dist cap,condenser - and it started fine.
Having recently go back into my mini... i should have remembered what it feels like when the condenser goes - but i didn't.. silly really.
So, all these changed and I was bombing around at the weekend, when i got a similar symptom - although i didn't floor it this time - just limped back to my garage.
Now - my dad thinks, change the coil too.. an I will do this.... but can anyone shed light on this baring in mind the following:

i recently got the car converted from leaded to unleaded.

its a D reg. mini city E 1000cc

80,000 miles on clock. I've had it since 24,000

AND - this is weird... and not sure if it could be related... When the car gets up to temperature and I turn on the heater, I get a burst of what i think is steam. and also, the car seems to have lots of moisture in the air in (showing on the screen) general once i get moving.
I've never encountered this before.

HELP AND THOUGHTS PLEASE.

Chris

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Probably two completely unrelated problems, a leaky heater matrix and something else.

Change the coil first, of course, which is completely logical. I would also check for side play in the distributor shaft (can get worse rapidly, and plays havoc with the running of the engine, yet seems to respond to changing or adjusting points), or a bad earth on the distributor baseplate. Or carburettor problems, manifold air leaks, worn or burnt valves.

It is just possible that the two problems are related, insofar as a leaky heater matrix is leaking steam and combustion gases arising from a head gasket problem, or porosity in the head or block, or even problems with the heater intake are allowing steam from an under-bonnet leak to enter the car.

#3 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

The general idea on TMF is that it is never the coil. If you are getting steam, it is very likely the inlet or outlet for the heater on the side of the heater.

Like tiger99 says - sounds like two completely unrelated issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users