#1 iDemonix

iDemonix

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hokay.

So, for those that read the problems forum, you'll of seen that I took my mini for a gentle 10 minute drive, parked her up and she spat 5 liters of oil alllll over my drive. Apparently a seal could of gone, I can't remember what my mate said though (998 auto by the way).

Anyway, I don't want to spend money on an engine I don't even want, as I dislike automatics, I only bought the mini for the nice shell and paint job. So I want a new engine. Specifically I've got my heart set on a 1275cc carby.

Firstly I went to see my local mate who put me on to a classic car repairs guy. The classic car repairs guy has a friend in the next unit with a 1275cc A+ metro engine with a carb. Now I know nothing about the engine as I'm going to go see it later today, but apparently it's complete and comes with a Weber carb and is the right series engine for a mini. I didn't speak to the bloke who owned the engine, just his mate, who reckons he wants £200ish for it? To me that sounds like a bargain even if it needs a rebuild, or am I wrong?

Secondly how much is an engine change? Because it's an automatic, I know the subframe is different. I know you can use spacers and a brace, but I like doing things properly, so I want a manual subframe going in too. Assuming I supply the subframe, complete engine, pedal box and master cylinder (is the master cylinder the little round black thing the pedal pushes in to?), how much should it cost? The bloke said he couldn't give me a price and said absolute ball park would be £500, as obviously it involves a bit more than a usual engine change: fitting the clutch, drilling through the bulkhead etc.

Thirdly if the engine is a *******, what's the going rate for a rebuild?

Fourthly, how long is a piece of string? :P

Cheers,
Dan

Edited by iDemonix, 23 March 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#2 iDemonix

iDemonix

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Ok just one more: My 998 I believe has been converted to electronic ignition (engine newbie, not sure what the difference looks like?), if the 1275 is on points, can I swap the ignition to the 1275 or not?

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

http://www.guess-wor...Shop/Automatic/

second to last paragraph

and....

http://www.guess-works.com/Shop/Engine/

Edited by Guess-Works.com, 23 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#4 iDemonix

iDemonix

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Just my luck.

Went to go see the 1275 engine, the bloke literally GAVE IT away last week, along with all accessories and a weber carb. Damnit!

Cheers, GuessWorks, I wouldn't refurb the auto as I'll sell it for pennies after a change. Your rate is £500, so is the blokes, seems to be the going rate then!

Cheers,
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users