197 replies to this topic

#166 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well, the TPS sensor was gone. snapped inside. replaced it and the problem is still the same. 

I got some new spark plugs which made no difference.

now theres no signal coming from the VSS, so im going to pick up another one tonight..

we can enguage the vtec manually and it still splutters as soon as i put my foot down so im leaning towards timing now. 

#167 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

It's proberly some thing simple when you say you engage Vtec manually do you do it when you are around 4500 rpm if your doing it when your on low revs such as tick over or any thing under around 4000 rpm it will be spluttery and won't run verry good as there will be to much air and fuel geting in hope this helps

John

#168 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

hi jonny, yea we were turning it on to prove it worked at the correct RPM.. the VSS aint telling the ecu that the cars doing more than 20 mph so it wont turn on..

the car is fine until it gets warm, then as soon as you put your foot down its like, bucking and jerking. 

we are trying everything at the moment. and we are concerned that the ecu might be damaged. i tried ebay, i wounder if anyone on the forum has a ECU I could test. 

#169 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Another quick question what will the engine rev to on stand still it should be 7200 ish where as when the car is moveing it should rev to 8500 only asking as I did a b16a2 convertion on a mates eg civic and due to a broken wire on the dizzie. The ecu did not now the revs also if your vss is faulty what does your speedo clock do?

#170 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

hi jonny, yea we were turning it on to prove it worked at the correct RPM.. the VSS aint telling the ecu that the cars doing more than 20 mph so it wont turn on..

the car is fine until it gets warm, then as soon as you put your foot down its like, bucking and jerking. 

we are trying everything at the moment. and we are concerned that the ecu might be damaged. i tried ebay, i wounder if anyone on the forum has a ECU I could test.
I've got a b18c4 ecu lying about if that's any good to you for testing

#171 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

blimy, the filter before the pump was not good enough to flow the fuel. now i just need the vtec to kick in!

#172 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

ok wired up the Vtec so it comes in on full throttle, its the best i can do for now untill the new VSS and ECU arrives. 

holy ****. torque steer. I'm torn between giving myself a big grin and not wanting to die.

the steering's all light and floaty in the middle and its almost impossible to boot it in a straight line without it flying all over the road. 

ill try and get a video for you guys tomorrow

#173 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Sounds exiting mr thumb you must love abit of torque steer I only seem to get it on gear changes can you get your wheels aligned or have you don so ? Should be ok in a strate line

#174 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

i got them aligned to .01 toe in. 

which was evil.

then i wound them in 1.5 turns on the steering rack which is what maybe 1-2 degrees toe in.. whatever that is, and now it feels better. but picture this.

driving in a straight line is dangerous. any camber or pot hole or anything while your foot is down will turn you straight into the hedge. its just not enjoyable when its like this. 

i tried to overtake a cyclist carefully and almost knocked him off. 

Edited by mrthumb, 12 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#175 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

you cant have a mini that handles like a shopping trolley kinda defeats the point :(

#176 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

exhaust fell off the other day while manually engaging the vtec , scratched up my flexible pipe and destroyed it to the point where it could no longer be repaired. So i cut it off and welded on a solid swan neck which is solid and much better. 

Attached Files

#177 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hell fire, Vtec must be fairly insane if it starts to undress the car!!! I have a flexi on my system just after the rear engine mount......you now have me worried :lol:

Have you managed to sort out the handling yet?

Kieran

#178 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi Kieran, handling no... Its just manageable without vtec.

yea you should hear vtec without a exhaust on with the windows down. we taught the engine blew up followed by the scraping of the exhaust. 

Still working on why the ECU says no to vtec. trying to sort out a oscilloscope to test the sine waves on the sensors and such. 

old flexy damageAttached File  IMG_20130716_165636.jpg   40.98K   32 downloads

new swan neckAttached File  IMG_20130716_165736.jpg   39.41K   41 downloads

Edited by mrthumb, 16 July 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#179 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ok update!

has some problems but i have ended up replacing the starter motor when the ignition barrel failed and left the starter motor on when i drove around and it burned out!

new distributor, dont ask!

Vtecs working! basically, we tried everything to get the Vehicle speed sensor working.  and it turned out to be the signal wire and power wire round the wrong way from the auto data diagram.

New problems, the engine is hunting on idle.

and the torque steer is gone! 

the alloy wheel was damaged and was wobbling badly, it must of been like it since i purchased the car as I have no gone up on any kerbs or anything.  it was a good 10 mm waving in and out as it was spinning. this is what caused the horrible torque steer, now its far more manageable. 

I will try and get some video for you of this beast driving. we were getting 5-6 seconds 0-60 times just roughly counting. 

Edited by mrthumb, 08 September 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#180 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

heres a quick video. nothing special but something to look at until my mate makes a nice compilation 

Edited by mrthumb, 08 September 2013 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users