22 replies to this topic

#1 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Rightio, I'm 18, had one years driving being insured by peter james. I have heard all this talk that classic car insurers will not insure people under the age of 21 at least. However, I got a letter yesterday from peter james and it doesn't seem to mention this anywhere and they seem pretty happy to insure me again, i've not read every little word but there is nothing that jumps out to say they won't insure me.

Just a bit puzzled and wondered if anyone could help. The renewal quote they gave me wasn't very spectacular though anyway.

#2 2-alex-2

2-alex-2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Local Club: SouthWalesMini club

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

i think its was footman james who were not going to insure un 25s as a friend of mine had to wait untill he was 18 so he could get his classic insurance so you should be alright i recon

#3 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's only Footman James who have stopped giving sensible quotes to young drivers (mind, some of them never have done!). With one years no claims, you stand a chance of getting a decent quote from a mainstream insurer such as Aviva, so be sure to shop around. Don't be afraid to phone Peter James and say that you have a quote of X amount from another insurer, will you match it?

#4 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Oh that's nice to hear :) Thanks for the help.

#5 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

It's only Footman James who have stopped giving sensible quotes to young drivers

Has anybody been back in touch with Footman James in the last few days? :unsure:

It was actually their underwriter "Equity Read Star" that stopped insuring younger drivers on classic policies and therefore Footman James have since been looking for an alternative underwriter that would. I'm over 25 (a long way over!!) but I had my renewal through from Footman James yesterday and it seems that they have moved my policy from "Equity Red Star" to "Royal Sun Alliance" this year. So it might at least be worth checking with them, as they have clearly found a different underwriter for some policies.

Edited by AVV IT, 01 April 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#6 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I phoned PJ a month ago...
They asked me how old I was and I said 17. The man on the end of the phone said 'sorry, we don't insure young drivers at the moment'.
Hope this helps...

#7 jb93

jb93

TMF Noddy Badge holder officially.

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I phoned PJ a month ago...
They asked me how old I was and I said 17. The man on the end of the phone said 'sorry, we don't insure young drivers at the moment'.
Hope this helps...

They were nice to you then. The guy I had seemed to find it hilarious that I was after an insurance quote.

#8 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

It's only Footman James who have stopped giving sensible quotes to young drivers

Has anybody been back in touch with Footman James in the last few days? :unsure:

It was actually their underwriter "Equity Read Star" that stopped insuring younger drivers on classic policies and therefore Footman James have since been looking for an alternative underwriter that would. I'm over 25 (a long way over!!) but I had my renewal through from Footman James yesterday and it seems that they have moved my policy from "Equity Red Star" to "Royal Sun Alliance" this year. So it might at least be worth checking with them, as they have clearly found a different underwriter for some policies.

I have been, they told me that they no longer insure young drivers full stop and it's no longer under review >_<

#9 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

With an average quote of around £5500, it's looking impossible that I'll be driving this year, that's even with a pass plus :/

#10 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Well ive been insured with them for two years, and have had no letter / notifaction that this is the case.......

#11 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

With an average quote of around £5500, it's looking impossible that I'll be driving this year, that's even with a pass plus :/

Who've you been trying with?

#12 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Everybody, I mean everybody...
Even with a tracker fitted, it still came in at a ridiculous price.
Cheapest was Adrian Flux at £2900, but that was TPFT and I really want fully comp for my pride and joy :(

#13 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Cheapest was Adrian Flux at £2900, but that was TPFT and I really want fully comp for my pride and joy :(

Have you tried Insure2Drive?

#14 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Have you tried Insure2Drive?

Yup, came back with £5720

#15 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

my misses works in insurance.

theres a company they use, its based in Ireland and will literally insure anyone.
my misses said they would quote an 18 with a porshe and you'd get a decent quote.

however should you crash, your standard excess is 3.5k and you'll have to pay for pretty much everything afterwards yourself.
they basically give you the documents to get on the road, but if it goes Tits up your basically on your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users