2 replies to this topic

#1 Renny

Renny

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

The strip around the car on my mini is rusted and around the wheel arch incomplete due to it having rusted away, how would i go about replacing this? but im planning to add wheel arches to it therefore is there any need to replace them? as when the wheel arches are on you wont be able to see them will you?

Edit: also on a off topic note (dont want to make another post) what is the easiest way to remove all the plastic undercoating? ive been using a wire brush,scraper and a lot of arm work but this doesnt take it all off and leaves i believe the primer coat that im having to grind off

Edited by Renny, 03 April 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Your post is a little vague, if by the strip you mean the flange where the outer sill is spot welded to the door step and rear panel then yes you need this.

Also the plastic coating, do you mean the bitumen sound proofing inside the car?? if so you will need either a chisel or a scraper capable of being hit with a hammer to chip off the bitumen. Its hard work and at the end you can use a wire cup in a grinder to remove any excess followed by a wipe over with white spirit.

If its the underside of the car you may find its been stone chipped which is a pain to remove. Again a wire cup on a grinder will help to remove this.

Going back to the beginning here if the strip ie the flange is rusted away then you will have quite a lot of work to do with repairs to the door step, rear quarter and sill and inner wheel arch replacement.

It would be better to post some pictures to show us exactly what you mean.

#3 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I assumed it was the clip on trim strip, but if that is rusted, who knows what lies behind?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users