#1 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington spa mini massive

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Iv had my mini since i was 17, it was my first car and changed everything on the car over the years except for 1 thing....the engine, its a 998 which i tarted up, new manifolds full engine gasket kit etc, always wanting to put a metro turbo in but never actually doing it. the 998 was reliable cheep to run and cheep to insure.

at this point as im new to the forum i think i should state my mini has been garaged and untouched now for nearly 5 years .....

anyway recently i was on ebay and stumbled accros a garrett t3 turbo, plus exhaust manifold from a metro turbo, all rebuilt like new,
instantly the urge of doing my dream turbo'd mini sprung back to mind the thought of getting my mini back out on the road but with the engine iv always thought it deserved...... so i made a bid and won for a really good price, i then cleared the build up of junk out of my garage and removed the dust covers off the mini before the turbo arrived, the first time id looked at my mini properly in like i say nearly 5 years so i pulled her out and gave her a clean
i then acquired the carb and inlet manifold and plenum box from a metro turbo, along with another t3 turbo+ exhaust manifold (worn and probly no good) and a box for the bulkhead,

1 night last week i decided there was nothing to do about 10 pm so went up to the garage and began stripping down the engine, the next thing i know it was 4 am and the engine was sat on top of my tool box,

the other day me and my worryingly eager to cut holes in my car friend cut the hole out for the bulkhead box, and i cant believe how much of a perfect fit it was, iv just finished welding the box in and im really happy with the finished result, but before i go any further into this project i was wondering if anybody had any up front kinda "heads up" information or advice,

i still need to get hold of lots of bits and parts including an engine to rebuild, i figure, if i just turbo the 998 il always want bigger, so while its out why not invest in a bigger engine to rebuild/turbo and put back in, any hints tips and advice to help me along the way would be really appreciated pluss if any 1 is selling a 1293 engine i would be really interested thanks dean

(attached picture of the mini dusty after 5 years and cleaned)

Attached Files

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

some home work for you

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-and-monocoque-modification/

Monococque.
Q) What is the definition of a monococque ?
A) A design in which body and chassis are all one unit.
Q) Why does cutting into a monococque affect the vehicle identity if it retains the same shape /profile as before.
A) Cutting is considered to be modifying the vehicle from its original specification. Any modification to the chassis/monocoque body is considered to render the vehicle no longer original specification or of original identity.
Q) Is it acceptable to modify a vehicle bulkhead and/or transmission tunnel when performing an engine change or fitting another make?
A) No, Assuming this is in relation to a monocoque structure. This would be considered a modification to the structure.

although i have heard if you bury your head in the sand deep enough the rules don't apply to you

#3 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

See you say these things but lets face it, the ERA turbo mini, had the exact same bulkhead box as mine actually produced by the same people that made my box, and the ERA was cut and the box welded in place in the bulkhead when it left the factory just like mine...... so my response to you is that i really don't care, if they had cars produced in the exact same way then there cant be anything wrong with it, i even used diagrams from an old BL book which has the schematic for marking out where to cut and weld, im guessing the designers of the car had thought about changing the design of the bulkhead and how it will effect the strength of the car, enough to go through with it back then, how is it any different now???? and the other thing is that iv already stated i don't use the car, if it ends up a track day car i don't care i was looking for useful tips and advice to help me through my project..... not what dvla deem legal or not.

#4 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

"The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer"....... so as the dealer produced a mini with this modification carried out,,,,, all should be fine ;-)

#5 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

i have researched alot about the turbo minis, and i know about the bulkhead "grey area" and all this has been taken into account, its more engine advice i was after i.e. which size to go for in people experience which cam any companies people may have used etc, not so much about the bulkhead. this has been done on minis for years, they surly couldnt enforce it with some coming out the factory like it, some being converted shortly after the metro turbo was released, all the way up to present day conversions, and how can they determine 1 from another? can they really say the age of a weld? i have followed the B.L schematics with great precision AND i am a qualified, full coded welder.

#6 xtr hardcore

xtr hardcore

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this, the bulkhead box on a mini is a grey area, and im sure you will find plenty of people on here that have done worse to their Monococque, and are still all fine! I.E flip fronts etc. Crack on and lets see a progress thread! P.S Welcome to TMF!

Edited by xtr hardcore, 05 April 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

That post at 9.05am is as full answer as you could get, but we can't deny there's a possibility of having a run in with the DVLA. As long as everyone knows the issues to make their own informed choice.

Back to the topic, have you seen WilH's 998 turbo topics http://www.turbo-mini.com/62147.html?

I would say, if you are going to run that T3, it'd be laggy on a 998

#8 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

i know, i dont plan on running it on the 998, i fancy myself a 1293, just browsing for 1 shall we say, if anybody knows of an old 1275 1293 or even bigger for sale please let me know i plan on doing a rebuild anyway so condition isnt major as long as there are no holes or cracks, oh and thanks for the more warmer welcome :P il get some more pictures up as soon as iv uploaded them from my camera

#9 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi..and welcome to TMF and enjoy your mini................. :proud:

#10 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

right the bulkhead box is welded in, the angle cut in the box section under the wiper motor is plated up and welded in, all looks great im really pleased with the end result,

Now...

think iv sorted a 1293 turbo block, and omega 1015 pistons, they have the 10cc dish, also a lightened and balanced turbo crank and a swiftune sw23 camshaft.... am i doing the right thing ??

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

the SW23 is far too racey for a turbo, you want an SW5, 266, avonbar phase2, kent 274... or somthing else around 250-260 degrees

#12 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

sorry i meant a swiftune sw10 duplex camshaft??? not a sw23...

#13 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Welcome to the addictive world of Turbocharging. Expect your wallet & your Mini to never be the same.

#14 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

i dont mind buying a new 1 tho, this 1 just comes with the engine, is the rest all ok then? also does anybody know what capacity does the standard 1275 head hold? is it possible to just grind the beak out on a 1275 and replace the valves?, i know you have to gain around 24cc, but is that 24cc from empty, or 24cc on top of the standard (x) amount which the cylinder head already holds?

or is it a case of buying a turbo head? thanks Dean

#15 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

All the 1275 head castings have the same nominal chamber volume of 21.4cc. How much, if any material you remove from the chambers will depend on what compression ratio you're trying to achieve.
You'll need to know what cc your engine will be, what dish the pistons have, how far they sit down the bore at TDC & what head gasket you're going to use. You can then calculate the required volume in the head to give your desired compression ratio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users