#17 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington spa mini massive

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

i baught the 1293engine with the omega 1015s, lightened and balanced crank , thanks, il look into a new cam, any recomendations?

any good advice with bearings? who is a good reliable company.....i dont really want to have to do this again ;D (i like the buy once and buy right philosophy)

so phil are you saying i could start with any 1275 head, and just modify it, and open it out a bit?

and another thing, iv heard the 998 gearbox will fit a 1275, only differences being final drive and the diff? how true is this? as im going to be taking it easy to begin with and not really put any power down until iv worn the engine in. so im not worried about blowing the diff, just really if it fits, and if it will handle it being driven sensibly? im thinking weekly oil changes to help prolong it a bit aswell thanks guys

#18 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

.....i forgot another other last thing.... are starter motors universal? will my 998 1 work on a my 1293? just trying to keep the cost down if i can, works fine on the 998

#19 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

cam wise use somthing mild, the std meto cam is ok (same as the metro turbo cam), the NA MG one is good, kent 266, SW5, at the hotter end the is the avonbar Phase2, kent 274i, and RE13T.

bearing wise, std ones will be fine as your not going to be reving the engine like a race engine, but you may as well use the competition bearings as they are not much more.

http://www.minispare...id=38347&title=

Head wise I wouldnt look at moding it yourself, the A head is a bit peculular, Phil above is a good head modifier, I'd recomend him, or look for a 2nd hand modded head and get the chambers modded to get a decent compression ratio.

Yeah the box's are interchangable, the diff ratio is ofen the same on the 998 but can be different, however the dropgears will be different on the 998 due to the crank, but they can just be swapped.

Starters are mostly interchangable, check the no of teeth on the ring gear, genrerally the vero is 129 teeth and the preverot 107 teeth and verto's use the pre engaged starter, but there can be exptions where people have swaped stuff...

http://www.minispare...x?ty=ad&aid=305

#20 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

nice 1, il probly go for the better bearings if there not too much more in that case, thanks so much for all the info, this website is so useful, i dont know why i haven't joined before if im honest, whenever iv googled a problem 9 times out of 10 the it links me to tmf for the answer,
il look into an already modded/turbo head and i can only try the box i suppose, but how much are the 1275 drop gears? wil i be better off just getting a new box?

#21 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

maybe its probably a good idea to try and pick up another box seall the drops off it and then rebuild it with the xpin diff etc while you run the lump in,

drops crop up on ebay, I'm sure you could pick up some cheaper than this,

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d0009eeaf

or ypu could go for a set of straight cut ones.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c1a79aaa3

#22 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

phwoar! why are straight cut so much more expensive? surley a straight cut ( regular style cog) is easier to make and produce than the angled cut 1s that are used in the gearboxes as standard?

#23 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

phil, i just got the may edition of mini world.....looking tidy on front cover mate ;-) fair play,

#24 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Cheers mate !

#25 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

right the latest progress as follows,

front subframe removed, to weld a plate in behind it, (i found a hole, right where the bulkead meets the floor pan, all welded back together, and a nice thick reinforcing sheet welded in at the subframe rear mounting point)

while out, replaced all the rubber bushes for polly bushes

recieved my metro turbo cylinder head..... (phil can we arrange for you to have it in for chamber enlagement/de-beak please?)

subframe back in and car is finally back down on the floor

iv stripped the gearbox off my 998, condition looks ok, not amazing, but will hopfully do for running the engine in purposes

ih had my crank measured to confirm the 20 thou regrind and bearings are on order, should be here hopefully friday,

#26 jd24-7

jd24-7

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi , Dont worry about the bulkhead thing, once all the turbo is in place and some sound proofing is put no the bulk head it is pretty hard to tell. Im re building my turbo mini, converting back from vaux power.
Make sure you fit big enough fuel pipe. I fitted an electric pump from an old astra and welded a return pipe into my tank. I ran with standard pipe at first and had problems at high revs, turned out i needed a bigger fuel pipe. You Will also need to look at the compression, and i would definately run with super unleaded. I took out my turbo and fitted a vaux engine because i had a standard metro 1275 and when the old 4 star was phased out i had to back off the boost. It was a cheap fix at the time to fit the vaux rather than mod the 1275. This time ill sort the 1275.
Good luck, hope the build goes well.

Edited by jd24-7, 24 June 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#27 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

cheers bud, yea, the builds come a long way, i kinda need to somehow change my profile name because i have ripped off the zeemax body kit, and luckily have a mini without rusty sills (which i was dreading as i ripped it off) iv sanded/scrubbed and re painted the underneath looks good as new, i then went a bit crazy after getting some fibreglass doors, and realising the weight difference between them decided the mini was to undergo a serious diet, i removed the front end, bought a carbon fibre flip front literally yesterday, it was off a friend of mine so luckily its painted and in excellent condition, my engine is currently being bored out to 1293 and assembled at southam mini metro center (long story short, baught as 1293, turned out to be 1275) should have it back hopfully next week... still lots to do, iv got some brace bars for the front subframe on order, should be here in the next couple of days, but while the engines away im happy to keep busy finding anything that needs fixing or replacing, next is to send the head to phil for compression work, and modifying it for dry decking. decided to go just for miglia arches, stripped out, polly carb windows, trying to bring the weight down as much as possible, looking at the kad rear beam axle, but i hear for any sort of fast road use, there terrible .... any views? iv got loads of pictures of the whole build, il do a link to the start to finish project when its done =)

#28 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

a quick update...

engine is back on the gearbox, flywheel and clutch back on, new turbo oil pump in, uprated water pump on, all new gaskets fitted all round brace bars fitted, painted the back seats and got rid of lots of un necessary wires which were routed under the rear seat cushions, iv cut my curley carbon dash down so the center pod doesnt go to the floor anymore, and with the extra iv cut off, iv made carbon fibre blanking plates for the air vent intakes, next is to send the head off to phil for beak removal and machining to fit dry decking kit, going to take a little trip over to min-its on friday to get new engine/head studs and bolts, pushrods and possibly an ally rad (depending on price) it appears im also missing 2 of the shorter gearbox bolts that fix to engine, so im going to get a complete new set of theses as well.

still a while to go yet, but wont be too long until the engine goes back into the car, iv gone abit ocd with taking pictures throughout the whole build so hopefully the album i put together should be interesting and really show all the changes that have been made to the car along the way

a quick thought, im in need of a megajolt ecu or similar, if anbody is selling or knows of anybody selling 1 could they please get in touch :P

#29 MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

MyZeemaxMiniTurbo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

i know its probly been asked before but, where is a suitable place to take an oil feed from going to the turbo? and a suitable location for a retern point?

#30 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

usually the take off is from the oil pressure switch hole, and the return is into the fuel pump hole,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users