• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

here are some more pics of the mini...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the rusty bits (can anyone give me an estimate of how much this would be to repair)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

nice! not much to do to get it all sorted then!

#3 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

not bad mate, doesnt look like to much work

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

The a panels about £5 to £10 each
Plus just to be on the safe side the hinge panel behind £8 to £15 each
Might not need but if you take off the a panels and find you do you’re a bit :D

Front wing don’t look too bad might get away with grinding back and weld any small holes

Rust under the window might grind back to sound metal but can’t tell with the window in place

Then just find some one who can weld, can either paint your self
Or send off to the body shop for the new panels/bare metal to be sprayed

#5 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

I would consider replacing that front wing, it would be more hassle to think about patching it up, what with the shape of the metal under the headlight. I would also seriously inspect the front panel as well, particularly as the rust has set in well right next to it on the wing. It would be easier to replace the whole front end in this instance, that way you can have a good look underneath the panels, in particular the inner scuttle panels that sit either end of the scuttle, but underneath. These pieces get constantly sprayed with water and if they have'nt been looked at before, which i doubt they have, they'll be rotten through, which'll only cause you more problems later on. Have a look up there with a torch. I'd also have a poke around in the front wheel arches, behind where the a-panel is...looking at the holes in the a-panels, there could be some rust directly where the water hits the wheel arch when driving. As for the patches under the side window, that will definitely need cutting, and plates welded in.

Looking at where that a-panel has rusted i would say, like the fella mentioned, that the hinge panel on that side will need replacing, or a repair panel welded into place.

Go and get a gasless mig welder off ebay for £70, get a few rolls of flux cored 0.8mm wire to go in it, then get a book/friend with experience etc. and learn how to weld - don't worry too much, you can do all the welding on the inside of the panels so you don't need to be perfect. Get and angle grinder with a few metal cutting discs and get that front off! Well, maybe i'm getting carried away, but after my experience it's what i would do. Lovely cooper by the way, couldn't have chosen any better. Good luck!

#6 mini_dave

mini_dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

well ive just been to a mini shop near me. they said i might aswell replacethe a pannals, the wings and the pannel where the lights are(dont no what there called) and there is a spray shop next door, so i can get it resprayed there. plus im getting a reconditioned gear box and a new clutch as the gearbox dosnt sound great in 2nd and 3rd gear. but just need to sort out and see exacly what needs doin and getting a proper quote on it. but first of all im going to get that rust sorted out. im not going to be driving it for a few months as i havnt passed my test yet, so got a bit of time to get my head round it.

#7 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

the front wing holds the headlight and goes around the underneath of it....the vertical seam to the side of the light is still part of the wing. The curved seam underneath that is the front panel...this holds the grille and covers the entire front. It's a very good idea replacing the whole front, providing they rust proof the other side of the panels and don't just weld them on and leave them. the standard black primer on the panels will be rusting away within a month of driving. Make sure they seam seal the joins where the panels meet (on the other side), and put some kind of paint on the other side, like chassis black or stone chip or something. When i say other side i mean the side you can't see. Speak to guessworks on this forum about reconned gearboxes, i've heard his work is excellent and prices are very good. There's a post in Technical about his work and you can download prices. Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users