17 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Towards the tail end of last year I’d started to be come a bit bored with the whole mini thing and by accident I stumbled across an old box of RC stuff in the loft.

One of witch was a buggy I bought a few years back with a job lot of parts for £30. A charger that was included in the deal was worth £60 new. But there was one small problem; the buggy was a non-runner with quite a few bits missing.

After spending god knows how much and raiding my boxes of spares that I’d kept and finding a repayment engine, its now up and running. Even if the only original bits are the chassis, suspension arms and shocks. The only downer now is because it’s an old design (around 99/2000) parts are hard to find, hence why I have tended to adapt parts to fit. But also the local model shop id had been sourcing parts through closed at the start of mach this year.

Still it doesn’t go too badly considering, the local park is just about big enough for it to scream its head off at 30.000rpm. It should have a second speed so it would be even quicker. But the centre one way bearing decided to eat its own face along with the shaft it runs on and the bearing is £20 on its own.

The body though has had quite a bit of time and money spent on it, paid just over £20 in paint alone and those flames were all hand masked.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Since getting the buggy up and running I’ve also bought a second-hand tamiay tl01 4wd electric touring car (far less temperamental than nitro) for general car park bashing. Like most things though it didn’t take long for me to start with the upgrades. The plastic bearings have been binned and replaced with ball bearing/races, the plastic friction shocks (a screw moving in a oiled plastic tube) replaced in favour of some ally oil filled ones, an energy absorbing foam bumper fitted and a stock 21 turn motor.

Unfortunately one thing that I’ve never like (since buying if I’m honest) is the shell. I’ve just never fully liked it or any of the others I was finding at the time of looking. That and even though it was advertised as being 190mm wide (the chassis is 185mm) it clearly is a lot wider, plus theres the big battle scar on the front.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So now the full sized mini project is complete and I found a better than expected deal on my daily mini, I finally got round to buying a new shell I’d had my eye on for a while.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

I just need to wait for it to arrive so I can crack on with the bit I enjoy, cutting it out and painting it. Even if I haven’t quite decided on what colour/s I’m going with just yet.

Edited by 1984mini25, 20 April 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#2 pickuptruck1994

pickuptruck1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

i used to be into the rc cars, looks good like a good project. have you got any other plans for it
regards
jordan

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

i used to be into the rc cars, looks good like a good project. have you got any other plans for it
regards
jordan

I used to be into RC cars and stuff in my teens, but then I moved onto other things and playing around with full size cars and minis.

The green truck is done and has been run a few times. Don’t have any real plans for it though, as now I can’t get spares for it as easily it kind of put me off using it in case I break it.

But one thing that has surprised me is just how far things have moved on. The engine size in the nitro truck would have been considered more than enough, but now you can get engines of over twice the size and power. It’s the same with the electric ones. A modern day stock motor that can be found for less than a tenner, now has the same performance of race motor that would have cost £50 upwards 10 or so year’s back. It’s the same with the batteries, not only are those cheaper but more powerful with even longer runtimes than before.

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

While the forum has been down for the last few days the metro shell for my electric one turned up. First impressions are the body moulding is pretty good and not as flimsily as some other bodies I’ve bought. Although I do think the stickers are bit cheap and tacky looking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Body all trimmed up and mounted to the chassis ready fro degreasing, masking and then painting. It too quite a few passes of my knife blade for the scrap lexan to break anyway cleanly and a bit of sandpaper action on the arches to smooth those off.
Also took quite a while lining up and drilling the body post mounting holes, especially as the rears had to be opened up slightly with a file due to the slope of the rear screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 1984mini25, 24 April 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#6 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Damn I thought this was an actual 6R4 by the title!

RC cars are good fun though.

#7 glyn

glyn

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: leyland mini club

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

That green one looks cool. I sent you a pm before the forum went down so don't know if you got it. Do you have any details on what car it is? Iv been given one by a friend to get it running for him but it just won't start!!!!!

#8 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Damn I thought this was an actual 6R4 by the title!

RC cars are good fun though.

Same here...! But good luck, it's all good fun.

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

That green one looks cool. I sent you a pm before the forum went down so don't know if you got it. Do you have any details on what car it is? Iv been given one by a friend to get it running for him but it just won't start!!!!!

I did and didn't, I got the pm but the forum went down before I could reply.
although the green one started off as a gv predator 2000, but very little on it is standard. Originaly it would of had a force 15 engine with a purple cooling head and 2 speed. But i've since relaced that for a brand new size 16 engine, alloy clutch and a single speed set up with a more reliable center diff.

As for your one, what sort of problem/s are you having with it? Is it a parts issue or a running problem?

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Anyways, the body has now been trimmed, washed and masked off. As its the inside of the body that needs paintin (the shine comes from the lexan) the darkest colour needs painting first, in my case blue.
Although finding suitable paint locally proved to be a bit of a headache, because the paint has to etch into the lexan for it to have any chance of sticking. I eventual found sutable paint in modelzone, but due to a lack of sales the polycarbonate sprays are being discontinued. So I was limited to just the single shade of blue to chose from.

#11 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Great project! I had loads of nitro and petrol RC trucks, killed me to sell them when the Mini came along :lol: Ill be watching!

#12 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

really looking forward to seeing it painted... keep us posted!! :thumbsup:

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Great project! I had loads of nitro and petrol RC trucks, killed me to sell them when the Mini came along :lol: Ill be watching!

Probably shouldn’t post picks of another one I have…

Posted Image

#14 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

And now I’m back on a pc that’s able to let me up load the picks, as smart phones don’t seam to be that bright at times.

Inside of areas to be painted white masked off along with the windows. I also gave up with the supplied window masks, as they seamed to be too big in relation to the windows.

Posted Image

After 3 coats of the chosen blue sprayed on and the lower masking removed. I’ve also found over the years (on anything spray can related) that warming the body with a hairdryer (with or without permission) before and after spraying helps with getting a better finish.

Posted Image

And after letting the blue dry fully, the 3 coats of white were sprayed on covering over the blue from the inside. I’ve experimented with various backing colours over the years, the same as using a coloured primer before the topcoat but in reverse. Obviously if you back a colour with white it brightens it up and if backed with black it darkens it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I have left now if to upload the finished picks the body after being given a quick polish (general car polish) to remove any over spray and now that the stickers have been applied.

Edited by 1984mini25, 25 April 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#15 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I’ve since had a change to polish up the outside of the body, apply the stickers and run it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall I’m pretty happy with it. Although I might send controlfreax an email soon ish, as I was disappointed with the quality of the stickers and to find out the release dates of these… http://www.controlfr...comingsoon.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users