#46 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Yeh I'm leaving the wheels on now.

I rang up to quiery exactly what would be happening, apparently they will come and take it away and an "engineer" will have a look and assess the damage, then after it has been looked at and a verdict made they can bring it to any garage I choose as long as its registered. I will see it again, there is no way I would let them completely write it off and me never see it again. It means way too much to me.

Like said above I was beyond the point of no return as such, I was going at a slow pace but he pulled out when there was nothing I could do about it unfortunately.

#47 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Right, got a call form the people that would come and collect it. She was quite helpful and i said is it possible for someone to come and look at it at my house and she said yes that's completely fine. Not quite sure why I never got asked that before? Cause surely them having to pick it up and store it while they wait and for the engineer to come and then to bring it back all the way from doncaster would cost way way more than it sitting in my garage and one guy making one trip out once and then me borrowing a trailer to take it myself to a garage? No wonder this country is in debt when people waste money like this! I'm a bit more pleased about this though :)

Also picking up my hire car tomorrow i think :)

#48 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

No wonder this country is in debt when people waste money like this!

Should be, no wonder why our insurance is so stupidly expensive!

Edited by mini-luke, 01 May 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#49 lapider

lapider

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: cardiff mini club

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

going along the whiplash side of things my mate was a passenger in a car that got rear ended at some lights about 2 or 3 years ago and this summer he was still having issues with his back (well that was his excuse for sitting in the front for the majority of the french road trip)

but on a serious note as a result he has always had back trouble i would check it all out just to be sure.

#50 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

The wheels, if declared*, will be included in the assessment of the pre accident value so leave them on. We've had more than the odd horror story where Mini's have disappeared once taken in to "care" by insurers, they don't understand we want to keep our Minis, not have a lump of cash to buy a "replacement" eurobox.

I trust you are also dealing with the other driver's insurers? If you claim through your own you'll lose your NCB even though they'll be reclaiming from his insurance anyway. It might even be one and the same parent company, so it could serve them to pay out as little as possible.

*it wouldn't matter if the whole car was uninsured if you were claiming off the other party.

#51 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Well insurance company are being absolutely useless. They said the would ring within 48 hours on thursday for someone to come and have a look. So now its tuesday and i just rang up. They said someone had come to look at quarter past 12, but i had no phone call and i was at home til 1 today. :S He went away and made a phone call and came back and said it was not possible for someone to inspect it at my house, so now someone is going to come pick it up and take it away again and i am exactly where i was last week :@

Grrrrrrrrrr wish they would stop messing me around.

#52 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I WOULDN'T LET THEM TAKE IT

you more than likely will never see the car again and will be forced to take a low pay out

#53 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

If it is being taken then make note, write to them, phone them, email them telling them that they can inspect the wheels if they wish but you have taken them off for security and replaced with some steels. Also make sure that they know, mention it in every correspondence, that you intend to have the car back. Especially if it is the other party's company inspecting it. They shouldn't mind really as you having the car back reduces the amount of cash they have to pay out. Check where it's going to be kept and tell them to make sure it's secure. Supply them with a crooklock etc if need be.

#54 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

It may pay you to go for a whiplash claim. Believe me when its genuine it can rear its ugly head later in life.

I'm currently going through a claim for a serious crash i had last year, not my fault and it does take time but you can claim for any expenses incurred as well. Things like fuel expenses incurred by driving back and forward to garages for quotes etc. Any prescriptions for whiplash and so on.

Itemise everything and if you do decide to claim through your legal services then present them with the list including any receipts. You wont need receipts for fuel but make a note of any mileage.

I will be getting somewhere around the £2k to £2.8k range but this also includes two days loss of work.

As Bungle has said if they take your car away it will be difficult to get your hands on it again. DO TAKE all loose items out of your car if it does go. Also think about taking the fuel out of it but leave enough for it to be driven.

#55 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Where do i go to to do a whiplash claim or who do i tell? I still get some occasional grief from my neck but it's hit and miss and it's been a while since now?

Well someone came to my house to have a look at it today, said he had a few minis at home which was a good start. In a nut shell he kinda said it was less likely to be written off, and that it is fine for my workplace to do the work. I'm picking my boss up tomorrow and going to get him to have a look at it for me and come up with an estimate (I work at a car body shop ;)) Said he will ring me back in a day or two after he has come up with an estimate for the work and spoken to where i want the work to be done and figured it all out. So yeh, fingers crossed some progress will be made very soon and it will be getting put back on the road :)

I love firing up the mini, i've been poking about with it recently and it's made me appreciate even more what i have and how awesome it is. It will probably end up coming out in better condition than it was before!!

#56 joshspragg

joshspragg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Local Club: M4 minis

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

i had 23948793 people call me asking if i wanted to make a claim. i think you can phone the insurance company you should be able to do it from there

#57 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

your insurance company would be my first call about the whiplash claim

#58 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Did you take out any legal protection when you bought your insurance. Mine was done through Admiral via the Co op of all people. If you have then get on the phone and talk to them about it.

#59 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Just noticed this topic. Brings bag memories of mine in 2010. Except it was the other way around sort of. I was driving down the road, chap on the opposide side waiting to pull onto his drive (on my side), I'm literally a metre a way and he decides to shoot straight in front of me. No reaction time, nothing. His excuse was his girlfriend was talking to him. 100% his fault.

#60 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

dont let them take the car!!!!! also the body repair garage does not need to registred it just needs to be a garage. any advice ask us lot in the trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users