#1 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

Can someone tell me if it is a switch on the line going to 'L' and also if it is a switch, which one is it?

Its for an electric speedo by the way.

Wiring give me the s%&ts

Posted Image

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

yes looks like it is.

you have ignition switch and wht looks like a swith for lighting it up. probably would connect that to the switch for the lights so that when the lights are switched on the speedo lights do aswell.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

I'd concurr...

It's the illumination line for the dial, therefore just tag it into the sidelight circuit, no need for the switch as the standard light switch will provide that function.

Where d'ya get the speedo from ?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

Ask on a Westy forum traitor! :goaway: :D*

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Do you know if it has LED lighting or not? Only there's an in-line resistor in the diagram between the connector and the lighting switch. If it has LEDs then it could well need a resistor fitted, did it come with one? It could be that it's meant to represent a panel rheostat but it's not a variable resistor symbol.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

I took that inline bit to be a junction/coupler. Different manufacturers sometimes use different, non-standard symbols. Regardless, as others have said, tie that "L" wire into your existing dash light circuit.

Out of curiosity, which brand of speedo did you buy? Where do you mount the pulse wheel they show? Can it accept 3-wire inputs from Hall-Effect senders so you could make/buy one to screw on the Mini transmission?

EDIT: Sorry... I just noticed the bit on the instructions about the potentiometer on the back of the gauge. I assume this isn't a speedo with an odometer. What are you putting this on?

Edited by dklawson, 03 March 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

It all makes sense now...

It is a Racetech speedo that came with the car but wasn't wired up. It uses a hall sensor which uses a the pulse wheel to measure its stuff.

From the info I have found, the pulse wheel only need to be calibrated for the odometer, as the speed reading is calibrated via a knob on the back of the dial. The pulse wheel isn't essential tho if you aren't too bothered about milage readings as the speedo can read from anything on the drive train (nuts on a cv or prop, or even a few nuts welded to something that turns on the drive train). I'm not the best person to advise on this tho so take a look at this link... Clicky[u]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users