Photo
- - - - -

I'm Going To Do It. I Have A Vtec-Mini. I'm Going To Turbo It.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AbitNutz

AbitNutz

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I just picked up a one piece flip up fiberglass nose from Mini-Tec....I was surprised at how good a quality it is. Once I get it fitted and functioning the car is going to Go-Autoworks for a turbocharger. I'm going to use some version of a Garrett GT28RS with ball bearings, oil and liquid cooling with an internal waste gate, Tial BOV, Hondata S300 electronics, larger fuel injectors, custom manifold, down and charge pipes. Figure out where to put an intercooler and an oil cooler. Add a Moroso oil pan, boost gauge, oil temp gauge and a really professional tune.

I'm not going to get inside the engine at all so this is going to be a relatively mild tune. I want the reliability, longevity and driveability of a daily driver. I don't want there to be any chance, in any way to risk blowing the guts of this all over the tarmac. I have a 3.47 final drive so at 70 MPH it turns about 3300 RPM but I have no idea at what RPM the turbo will wake up. The VTEC hits around 6000 RPM or so and it really scoots when that hits.
The car weighs nothing so adding say...75hp to the 220hp could be similar to being shot out of a cannon. I always liked artillery.

#2 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Sounds good but, pics!

#3 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

This is a crazy idea, i like that.
remember lots of pictures :)

#4 The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Sounds crazy man! =]

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Posted Image

#6 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

There really isn't a great deal of point fitting a turbo charger unless you lower the compression ratio of the engine. Do this by replacing the pistons - there are plenty of aftermarket ones available I would imagine as the jap modifiers are numerous. JE probably have a selection.

All the expense you describe will give you a much higher benefit if you drop CR to match your turbo modification. If you don't then you'll need to run very retarded igntion timing to avoid knock and consequent engine damage. Lowered CR will allow you to make best use of all the other work and give you a broader flatter torque curve. You say you want to preserve the durability of the engine - well not changing CR but fitting some kind of pressure charging system is pretty much the opposite!

#7 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

He's in Ohio so I'm not sure what the regulations are over there but I don't think he'll specifically need an SVA

#8 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

There really isn't a great deal of point fitting a turbo charger unless you lower the compression ratio of the engine. Do this by replacing the pistons - there are plenty of aftermarket ones available I would imagine as the jap modifiers are numerous. JE probably have a selection.

All the expense you describe will give you a much higher benefit if you drop CR to match your turbo modification. If you don't then you'll need to run very retarded igntion timing to avoid knock and consequent engine damage. Lowered CR will allow you to make best use of all the other work and give you a broader flatter torque curve. You say you want to preserve the durability of the engine - well not changing CR but fitting some kind of pressure charging system is pretty much the opposite!

Actually the Honda pistons are pretty bullet proof and will take a low boost without any modifications. Of course if he wants to run high boost he will have to have the engine apart and put new pistons in.

#9 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Any idea what the standard CR is?

Its not really about the piston durability.. Its about knock resistance... Once you run in knock any piston would fail, or at least be damaged....

All seems like a lot of effort to go to for only part of the potential benefits... But then again I guess the aftermarket tuning world is full of people doing this kind of thing!

#10 Gsrmini

Gsrmini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

...Once I get it fitted and functioning the car is going to Go-Autoworks for a turbocharger. I'm going to use some version of a Garrett GT28RS with ball bearings, oil and liquid cooling with an internal waste gate, Tial BOV, Hondata S300 electronics, larger fuel injectors, custom manifold, down and charge pipes. Figure out where to put an intercooler and an oil cooler. Add a Moroso oil pan, boost gauge, oil temp gauge and a really professional tune....

AbitNutz... Any update on fitting your turbo? Feel free to message me, as I'm interested in how things went for you. I built an LS-VTEC w/ slight bore & low compression pistons for my turbo vtec conversion, still an 'in-progress' build that I've been working on for a number of years now. Shoot me a message sometime...

#11 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Any idea what the standard CR is?

Its not really about the piston durability.. Its about knock resistance... Once you run in knock any piston would fail, or at least be damaged....

All seems like a lot of effort to go to for only part of the potential benefits... But then again I guess the aftermarket tuning world is full of people doing this kind of thing!

Actually the standard B16A is great to turbo at around 11:1 you can run 300whp no problems whatsoever, more than enough power in a mini. This is the reason people swap out B16B's and B18C6's for standard B16A/B18 VTECs' when going for turbo's as the compression ratio is lower than the type R engine's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users