5 replies to this topic

#1 ksmith

ksmith

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thought I would introduce myself and my restoration project - a 1989 mini thirty. Car was sold on ebay as a restoration project (barn find I guess you would call it) but it is actually in very good condition, hardly any rust problems. Front end was removed by previous owner so have a complete set of panels to fit over the next couple of weeks.

Sadly the fun and positivity of this new project had been dashed by some pathetic jealous neibour.

I parked the car in my usual space (communal parking area in a small development of flats) it was covered with a nice new cover a) to protect the car and b) to stop it looking unsightly while getting it back on the road.

I even droped all the neibours a note saying if it caused them any problems just to let me know.

Anyway......car has been there 4 days now, and at 11:15 this morning a company acting on behalf of the DVLA kindly put a wheel clamp on it.

Cost of removing the clamp (must be paid within 24 hrs or it will be lifted) is £260......the very kind lady at the office said that if I can get the car MOT'd, Taxed within 48 hrs they will drop the price to £100.

So no chance of an MOT and Tax within 48 hrs - im not a miracle worker.

Sadly :shy: thanks to them I am now having to sell its almost mint interior to fund paying the removal of the clamp.

I thought the car was on private property being in a communal parking space, the previous owner said it was SORN, but as I dont have the V5 yet I cant SORN it myself.

Hopefully this project will have a more positive outcome moving forward......watch this space.

#2 miniaddict92

miniaddict92

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hello and welcome to TMF!! would love to see pics of the car your restoring and sad to hear that its not been a good start already in owning a mini MOT and tax in 48 hrs did they look at the car they were clamping ha ha. Hope you get it off and im sure it wont dampen the enthusiasm!!! ;D

#3 ksmith

ksmith

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Hello and welcome to TMF!! would love to see pics of the car your restoring and sad to hear that its not been a good start already in owning a mini MOT and tax in 48 hrs did they look at the car they were clamping ha ha. Hope you get it off and im sure it wont dampen the enthusiasm!!! ;D

Not at all, I am going to find someone to transport it from Newbury to my partners work in Reading (15 miles) where knowone will moan about it.

To be honest this problem just makes me even more determined.

Will get some pics and post up very soon.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 miniaddict92

miniaddict92

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

been working on mine for 3 months every time i think am done something else sprouts its head but i love the challenge mine aint even a rebuild its just making the thing safe and work. lol good times but my wallet crys alot haha no probs mate. i just love see rebuilds as if i had the space time money and knowledge i'd build my own!

#5 madboy

madboy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

hello mate local to me, got any pictures

#6 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi..and welcome to TMF and enjoy...................sad to hear that you have a jelous neibour..............and sad to see you have to sell the interior........ :ohno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users