5 replies to this topic

#1 BerkshireMini

BerkshireMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

I want to convert my dials (0-90mph) to a new set (0-110mph)

Will this be a problem? and what would I need to do?

below are pics.

Thanks TMFers

Mine are the ones on the right (Y)

#2 PhoenixSimon

PhoenixSimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOC

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

hello
I havent a clue what you need but I will be doing it myself so hopefully someone will know.
I would guess if the car has a fuse box it would be a case of plugging in a new clock loom with the extra wires to run teh rev counter but im tottaly new to minis and could be a bit ahead of time for the mini wiring!!!
cheers simon

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

You should just be able to plug it in. as far as I know, the later (80s onwards) minis only had one speedo drive, so any recalibration will be done in the unit itself. The loom should have the two wires in it that you need to connect up the rev counter too. Check your haynes manual for the colours, and you'll probably find 2 wires behind the dash waiting for you.

#4 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

i was going to do the same thing.

I tried the 110mph clocks out of my rsp cooper in my 998 along with a road angel,and the speedos read exactly the same at the same point, so i didnt think the 110mph set needed any recalibration.

I await someone to tell me im wrong (as i may be) but thats what i found.

#5 BerkshireMini

BerkshireMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

So everyone reckons it'd be OK?

Let us know asap, keeping someone holding on about whether to sell me the clocks! Ta people.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

The original clocks you have are Smiths and the new ones are Nippon. As for them being interchangeble I dont know but is something, if I had the need, would try it.

As for the 80 onwards all having the same speedo drive is incorrect. All pre 80 cars had the same speedo drive gears and the speedo for each of the different Final Drives used different Turns Per Mile to mach the final drive. All 80 onwards speedos should be 1280 turns per mile and then different speedo drive gears to suit the final drive for the size of wheel at production. Change any one thing of this and the speedo will read out.

So if your speedo is 1280 turns per mile, most likely, the final drive, speado gears and wheels are the same as when it left the factory then there should be no need for calibration. Wheel size doesnt realy make that much difference any way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users