http://www.ebay.co.u...1c2718b31b#ht_5

#17 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

These are the ones I used, I'll try them, but allow enough room around them for the larger one's should I need them.

Jordie, I may be able to make one at a later time when I do another, but would be subject to a exchange on a front subby.

#18 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

These are the ones I used, I'll try them, but allow enough room around them for the larger one's should I need them.

Jordie, I may be able to make one at a later time when I do another, but would be subject to a exchange on a front subby.

what's the thread size?

#19 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

I think there M10 too

#20 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'd use them, it is a light engine compared to the landrover, i think its more important to position them correctly to take the forces inflicted on them in the correct manner.

#21 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

I was thinking that today myself, now I can see it in front of me it will be important to get the position right. i was thinking 35 degrees would be a good position to allow the engine to bear down on the mounts, but also damping front to rear movement.

#22 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

I was thinking that today myself, now I can see it in front of me it will be important to get the position right. i was thinking 35 degrees would be a good position to allow the engine to bear down on the mounts, but also damping front to rear movement.

mine are nearer 40-45 degrees. 35 degrees isnt far from that, i'm a great believer in if it looks right it is right, go for it...

#23 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well got a afternoon free, so decided to do some more, and trial fit the frame in a roundnose and sit the engine in to see position etc for the engine mounts.

The frame was a snug fit, and only needed to make a small modification to the body work to make it fit, just cut 2 triangles off the front panel mounting brackets.

some pics.

Attached File  2012-05-23_14-40-03_733.jpg   64.75K   62 downloads Attached File  2012-05-23_14-40-08_111.jpg   50.71K   51 downloads
Attached File  2012-05-23_14-40-13_274.jpg   62.71K   36 downloads Attached File  2012-05-23_14-40-19_913.jpg   70.98K   55 downloads

managed to get one mount fabricated

Attached File  2012-05-23_17-48-07_273.jpg   50.72K   41 downloads

And how the engine sit's in the car

Attached File  2012-05-23_17-48-49_687.jpg   51.5K   64 downloads

@Rids, what thickness plate did you use for you engine mounts, and if fact what wall thickness tube did you use, I feel I'm over engineering it a little

#24 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

good work will be doing the same convertion with my 1.3 engine strange why all the micra convertions invovle green minis? lol as for rid, big cheif and infact this thread will help not only me but alot of others :D

#25 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

I'll be slightly different, the engine will be going in a blue mini, the green is justy for mocking up.

But yea reading all the threads really helped me, the coversion isn't too bad, but made so much easier in the fact you can see how other people have over come hurdles.

#26 batespeed

batespeed

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: minis in inverness

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Nice bit of engineering there, your doing a proper job, well done.

#27 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Quote...... what thickness plate did you use for you engine mounts, and if fact what wall thickness tube did you use, I feel I'm over engineering it a little

I used 6mm for my engine mounts and strengthened them by welding in webs where i could, giving a strong triangular shape. the box section i used was 1 inch, it looks smaller than what you are using. I think the wall thickness of the box section was about 2-3mm, it seems strong enough, it's on it's second summer now with no problems. yours looks neat and strong,

Edited by rids, 24 May 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#28 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Ah all is ok then, i'm also using 6 mm plate for the mounts and the tube is 40mm with 3mm walls, although it is a bit too chunky, I think the next one I do I'll use 20x40 with 3mm wall.

Now it's been trial fitted and once the mounts are finished, i'll be adding a little more strenghtening, I didn't realise tho how thin the Metal was on the original subframe.

I've got use of a lathe now so will hopefully be able to do my drive shaftes and turn down the camshaft pully, Just need to convert it from 3 phase to single phase O_O

#29 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

whats your passenger side drive shaft clearance like? i had to cut away more of the subframe than you have

#30 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I will still have to cut that away, it does look very tight, just wanted to get the postion right in the car first so I only have to cut as little as possible away there. But now I know where it's sits in respect to the steering rack I'm happy about the amount that will need to be trimmed.

Also I think i've decided to go for a custom inlet, at least that way I can switch the engine into other cars with mods should I need too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users