#16 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Right then, got a fair bit done on the car this weekend, even though the car is in a garage i still managed to singe my back :( Damn my gingerness

Anyways it was mainly a painting and tidying weekend as its payday tomorrow so parts should be en-route soon.

Started with the wiring, pulled off the loom for the engine and chucked it in the attic along with the mini loom. The mini loom is pretty much all labelled up

Posted Image

I'm not sure what im gonna do about electrics, dont want to spend a furtune on it but by the sounds of it i may have to :( If anyone has a recommendation then please tell

Also took a chunk out of the inlet, still needs tidying up a bit

Posted Image

I've decided that stuff is tungsten carbide because hell fire it took some time to get through :angry:

Also got the slave cylinder painted and countersunk just to add a little clearance, nicked some bolts from work during the week, Rolls-Royce ones at that :shifty:

Posted Image

Then sprayed up the rocker cover, came out quite well for a halfrauds mix

Posted Image

Then cleaned up and painted the gearbox and engine block, nothing special and itll end up getting filthy again but i think it looks fairly cool

Posted Image

Hooked the gearbox up just to be sure i had all the bolts for it etc and just out of interest aswell

then rewarded myself ;D

Posted Image

Wont be doing anything for a while except the bulkhead box possibly getting sorted this week.

Hope we are all enjoying the good weather :)

Kieran

#17 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Bloody hell you got some work done there! :mrcool: Loving the rocker cover aswell, and thats halfords stuff????

Inlet is deceptive, looks easy to cut....there is small bracket mounting on I can't remember either no 1 or 4's side, I think its 1 (cambelt side) it just holds a cable so trim it if your bulkhead is catching it

Engine has come up really good, did you start off with Gunk or something? What did you use after for the silver, spray or paint?

#18 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

Bloody hell you got some work done there! :mrcool: Loving the rocker cover aswell, and thats halfords stuff????

Inlet is deceptive, looks easy to cut....there is small bracket mounting on I can't remember either no 1 or 4's side, I think its 1 (cambelt side) it just holds a cable so trim it if your bulkhead is catching it

Engine has come up really good, did you start off with Gunk or something? What did you use after for the silver, spray or paint?

Yipe, a halfords mix from a mates paint code.

Didn't see that on the inlet, its still got the fuel rail etc on it so gonna take it off and get it painted. What do you think i should go for, the engine silver or the camcover blue?

The engine and gearbox i just attacked with wd-40 and the wire brush on the drill and angle grinder (which when spinning at serveral thousand rpm is ******* scary) to get every little bit of mud and oil off, then put about 3 layers of high temperature spray paint on it. I aint an artist by any means so im not expecting it to be a long term fix.

#19 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

You can't go wrong with having the rocker cover and the inlet the same colour, you should be able to get other stuff done aswell, I got my brake servo done but I'm not sure if your gonna be using one. I'm sure your gonna be using an alternator though so you could attack that

#20 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

ye gonna be using the servo, but gonna get a new one. my old brakes were really dodgy so gonna re-do the full setup. Paint plan is a mixture of the camcover blue, silver and black details :thumbsup:

#21 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Right bit of a boring update, been spending most of the weekend on the house and heading to scotland on tuesday with friends so cant afford to spend **** loads of the mini.

But managed to get the inlet trimmed down so it fits in the gap ive made in the bulkhead which annoyingly isnt finished yet :angry: and got it all painted up

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

had enough of painting so should get the subframe ordered at the end of this month/start of july if the piggy bank gets full by then :D

Kieran

Edited by KieranB, 03 June 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#22 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think people can underestimate how long it takes to actually wrap all the holes and gubbins up before paint!

Nice work :thumbsup: and you even sprayed a couple of the pipes! :mrcool:

#23 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

cheers kam, ye it does take a fair bit of time plus cleaning etc, ill admit i underestimated how long it takes. but the rewards are pretty neat.

the pipes were my idea of silicon look-a-likes ;D

#24 rosstolley

rosstolley

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Looking good here pal. That inlets turned out quite nice!

#25 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

cheers bud, i would love to get everything powder coated but this aint looking too bad so far :)

#26 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Just be careful with that paint - it'll probably all need redone when you get it in the car. I tried that too, on the block... If you dont run the engine to cure it, it'll start to chip off by itself within a few weeks!

Anyway, good to see you started! If you need a hand with anything, I'll be able to pop down anytime after august!

#27 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

ye i did think that, it was sat in the sun when i did it and it was a scortcher of a day so that might have helped a bit. thanks for the heads up though.

How come after august? that your deadline? i was gonna give you a shout this week jamie because i was up in scotland and through glen coe way but we were on a mission to see the west coast when it was sunny :)

#28 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

It might of done it a favor - but it really needs to be cured at about 100 degrees!

Erm, thats when I'll of passed my test hopefully - booked for the 20th!

#29 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

oh cool, good luck for the 20th :thumbsup: ill most definetly need a hand with the electrics. gonna go for the minitec loom i think

#30 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

I would! I'm glad I did, it made everything A LOT simpler!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users