1 reply to this topic

#1 Pob

Pob

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:08 PM

What is actually involved in fitting a turbo motor into a mini? By the looks of things I already have the bulk head box. I.e different driveshafts, gearbox, wiring loom with a ECU?

I am thinking of building a turbo motor over a period of time fitting it when I have sorted the shell out.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

If it's the Metro Turbo engine you plan to fit then yes you'll have to cut the bulkhead.
You can use the Mini driveshafts as long as they're the pot joint type, you do not need a special wiring loom or anything like that, the Metro does run an ECU but this does not control ignition or fuelling, it just limits boost to 4.5psi below 4,500 rpm and increses it to 7psi thereafter. This was added to try and increse the life of the transmission due to the huge midrange torque the Turbo provides.The engine can be run without the ECU no problem, most people seem to ditch it. Providing the transmission is well built you'll have no probs.
You'll need to modify your fuel tank by increasing the size of the outlet to 10mm, you'll need to weld a return pipe into the top of the tank, and you'll need to run an 8mm fuel feed to the engine bay and a 10mm return to the tank.
You need a high pressure fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator, these can be taken from the Metro.
The fuel pump needs to be mounted below the tank & the regulator can be mounted in the engine bay.

Hope this helps.
Phil. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users