53 replies to this topic

#31 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

its the height that tends to be the problem.

you can get bonnets with an added bulge tho that dont look tooo bad

KAD do one, doesnt look too bad

Posted Image

works with orange :trooper:

Im thinking of going 7 port, what kind of power could you expect from a 1293cc 7 port?

#32 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

soz, opening up an od thread an' all, i was researching into 8-ports, but thats besides the point....

just thought i'd let peeps know that if you want a 7 port then it will fit under a standard bonnet with webers and stubby ram pipes. My mate has one.....

Posted Image

He had no issues with the bonnet really. He did have problems with it tho. Not sure whether it was the casting or something else, but it just wasn't performing properly, i think h said he didn't even break 100bhp on the rollers with a morespeed 1380 short block!! He had the rally spec head by the way...

Anyhoo, he sent the whole engine off to slark who are gonna sort it all out because hes had enuf of trying to get the damn thing to work.

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

Well nice to see people using the SEARCH button! :wub:

It wasn't a MiniSport casting by any chance was it?

#34 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

The length from the inlet to the valve is very critical too. Maybe the fact that he has squeezed it in under the bonnet is affecting the perfomance too. (although if indeed it is a minisport casting, thats probably the *main* problem.)

#35 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Well nice to see people using the SEARCH button! :P

It wasn't a MiniSport casting by any chance was it?

Yea - soz, it is a minisport casting, thats what i meant to imply wen i said it wasn't workin :wub:

Whilst im on the subject, i was searching for info on the Elder 8 port head. Does anybody know anything about it or know anyone who's had one????

http://business.fort...r/445/main2.htm

http://www.planet.eo...tech/8-port.htm

Just inreeged (sp) me, being something a bit different. And i also think it looks more retro than the MED arden 8-port.

Edited by JetBLICK, 10 December 2006 - 06:03 PM.

#36 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

I think the Elder 8 port head is one of those "rare as rocking horse poo" items so might be very hard to get hold of one. The more popular head is the arden which you can get new from minispares, id quite fancy one myself, but rather go 7 port as its less hassle to fit than 8 port

#37 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Bump!

Has anyone got any proven rolling road figures for a minisport 7 port on a 1380 yet? Im more interested in the torque...

#38 8portdave

8portdave

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

if anyone is thinking of doing a 8 port build i will be at castle coombe action day and will be more than happy to chat to people and give my advise best i can
i do have a 8 port 310 cam for sale witch only done 100 miles
cheers
dave

#39 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

hopfully 8 port dave will confirm this.....

I have been lead to belive that with the 8 port setups that require a different cam (arden&weslake) if you use a cam of any worthwhile lift it will conflict with the 1300 crank/rods, so you will need to run S rods and a different crank.

also, with the port that would not make more than 100hp, what plugs were used? also how far did the prodrude into the chamber? I belive the 7 port was designed to take a 1" reach plug (which are incredibly hard to find) but people just stick a 3/4" reach plug in and they then don't make any power.

If you take a look at my build thread below, I have just added a bit to it about counterboring the plugs deeper into the head.

http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=119064

#40 8portdave

8portdave

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

with the arden 8 port you have to change a few things
camshaft is different
con rods
push rods
rocker setup
i use bike plugs on mine and they do the job just right
you can not run a 8 port under a standard bonnet that is why my car looks so butt ugly
cheers
Dave

#41 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

#42 8portdave

8portdave

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

lol ^ ;)

#43 lee76

lee76

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hiya,Bill Richards here.I have built a few 8-ports in my time.we have built 8-ports on Amals ,modern bike carbs and webbers.The bike carbs showed the same top end power as the webbers and they fit under a standard bonnet.I to will be at castle combe and will be only to happy to answer any questions anyone has.The 8-port is quite a complicated engine but when buit right it is bullit proof.If built right you can use standard pushrods.

#44 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

I always thought a bizzard scoop/filter could be made that goes down from the carbs back toward the block then opens out for a scoop. Could fit a flat filter in it too.

Always sounded like a good idea for 8/7 ports head in my mind.

#45 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hiya,Bill Richards here.I have built a few 8-ports in my time.we have built 8-ports on Amals ,modern bike carbs and webbers.The bike carbs showed the same top end power as the webbers and they fit under a standard bonnet.I to will be at castle combe and will be only to happy to answer any questions anyone has.The 8-port is quite a complicated engine but when buit right it is bullit proof.If built right you can use standard pushrods.

Cheers Bill, thanks for your sound advice. I like the idea of bike carbs under a standard bonnet but have been told that amals are hard to tune and only work either flat out, or turned off!

In your opinion could a 7 port be as powerful as an 8 port and used sensibly on the road?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users