#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Well I'm phoning up the tyre garage tommorow thats for sure. :xxx:

New pair of Falklens on the front today - great stuff - out with the misshaped tyre, more grip, good stuff - light at the end of the tunnel?

Pffff....your kidding.

After the garage finished I backed it out of the bay onto the single road with the mekki behind to guide me out. Stall 1 - thought nothing of it, I wasn't exactly reving enough for the reverse to drive properly - started up again and hey presto we're off up the hight street and back to work. :D Stall 2 - this time I thought it must be the wet so out came the choke to get some bumph into the engine. :- Out of work, and Stall 3 - this is getting rediculous. :( A further 5 stalls on the way home with slowing traffic, traffic lights and not using the accelerator. :xxx:

So im at home thank god, after using far to much fuel keeping the engine in high rev. From what I could muster, these are the features of my current serious problem:

- Stalls under 30MPH if theres no acceleration.

- 2nd and first gear need choke.

- When not using accel. pedal, engine can be felt "stuttering" sort of pulling and pushing the car in short sharp bursts. This isnt a pump failure as such- I have had that before the engine simply wont budge.

- When stalling, used the chocke to push the engine to catch - when it does, just the slightest choke (1/4" out) gives a very high rev - almost like theres excess fuel in the system. :dontgetit:

- Spots will go out when stalling regardless of light system being on, then come back on when car begins to move again.

- From standing to moving, or any gear change for that matter, clutch seems slower to catch than normal.

Any help would be great folks, and quick!

Nev.

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

have you changed them ht leads yet? check battory cable under car is not shorting out and check wires under bonnet for good connection

dave

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

I doubt the tyre change has caused these symptoms, I suspect it is coincidental more than anything.

It sounds like your car needs a tune up, what general condition is it in under the bonnet?

Like Dave has said ^^^^^, it is 'possible' that the battery lead has been caught with a jack and is now shorting under the car, check that. Check that it hasn't had a fuel pipe crushed too (I guess that's possible, if some one was really careless with a jack) :D

#4 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

I intend to change them over tommorow - could it simply be all the wet weather?

MiniMadMe - heh coincidental is a word George uses a lot - fix one thing, the next thing goes - its like he's playing games with me! :D

#5 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

could very well have been just the crappy weather

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

yep damp ht leads will cause those problems

dave

#7 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

Changed them over at lunchtime today :ph34r: what a result! Sounded more like a sewing machine than a dying animal :w00t:

One lead in-particular - think it was the coil to dissy lead was severely corroded and absolutely drowned in grease and muck :D no wonder George was having trouble!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users