Photo
- - - - -

Unleaded convertion or Lead Supplement???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 01smartc

01smartc

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi there, i have just bought a 12G295 head and was wondering if i should get a lead free convertion or just use lead supplement. Calver says use a supplement but what do you think? Cheers

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Lead supplement works in my books - the Silver Eel uses it and havent experienced any problems at all, darn sight cheaper as well.

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

lead supplement works fine.

Howver, do the math. How much is an unleaded conversion gonna cost you, and how long will it take you to pay that off in using supplement? Then decide.

#4 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

Do neither, run it on unleaded, save your money.

When the valve seats burn out, then get seats fitted.

#5 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

Unleaded conversion is about 100, as the head is off anyway, I would personally get it done. It will add appeal when you come to sell the car and makes things alot more simple. But given lead substitute is about 8 quid for 300 ml your going to have to go through about 4000 litres of fuel say at 30 mpg (some do more)

thats about 830 gallons

given that economy your going to have to drive 25,000 miles to make an unleaded conversion pay for itself

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

i think 25000 miles to recoup is a lot so would say stick with the supplement.

After reading this i think i will be doing the same if i keep the spare MG head i have

what is the best lead supplement to use?

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

Another point for the supplement is this; I use Castrol Valvemaster Plus. This not only contains the lead supplement but also an octane boost and additives to protect the engine. So not only will you get your lead in the petrol, but you'll also go a lil faster and your engine may last longer! :w00t:

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Now here is a question related to this that I am not sure about.

Can you use lead replacement supplement with an injection engine, will it knacker the Lambda sensor and Cat convertor as leaded fuel would.

Not that I expexct people to know or even give a **** because its inection

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Pessimist!

From conversations I had on Porsche forums, it does affect the life of the cat and sensor. No-one came up with a definitive answer by how much, but it was a significant drop. (I think one guy who used it as an additive to race fuel..... for some reason..... reckoned he was changing sensors every 9 months or so!)

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Pessimist!

Just seems to be the opinion these days when it comes to the mini. "Injection?, rip it out and put carbs on it" is an all too common statement. :ph34r:

Cheers for the info though :w00t:

#11 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

You are all going to think I am crazy, But i was told from a VERY reliable source that a capfull of automatic transmission fluid in every tankfull does the trick.............. ducking under desk to avoid being ridiculed!!!

#12 Holly

Holly

TMF's Blonde

• Members
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

Unleaded conversion is about 100, as the head is off anyway, I would personally get it done. It will add appeal when you come to sell the car and makes things alot more simple. But given lead substitute is about 8 quid for 300 ml your going to have to go through about 4000 litres of fuel say at 30 mpg (some do more)

thats about 830 gallons

given that economy your going to have to drive 25,000 miles to make an unleaded conversion pay for itself

i think i posted somethink like this before and as i only drive when i home it was silly to convert! although i can see the point of it being good when you want to sell it! (i will never sell my mini tho :w00t:)

#13 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

I'd say have it converted AND use Castrol Valvemaster Plus - its what I do :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users