16 replies to this topic

#1 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

yesterday i had a 106 pull out in front of me, i managed to aviod him but not the concrete post i swerved towards :'( he didnt stop! Anyway i need a new front now as its crunched the passenger side wing which has bent the whole front of the car (it was very rusty so it didnt take much)
Ive been searching through the site and its seems quite a few people have fitted fibreglass fronts but how much sucess has everyone had at getting the fit right? Also who are the recomended suppliers? My mate has a curly GF front and its absolute rubbish, so far off fitting it never stood a chance of fitting. I expect to have to adjust it a little to get the fit perfect (just like normal panels) but i want to start with something that is somewere near at least.

Cheers
Chris

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

If Curley can't get it right I don't hold out much hope for anyone else! :'(

I was all set to get a Curley front as well! Although I probably still will, there aren't many people that do Clubby fronts!

I think the problem is that a FG panel is never going to be completely spot on, since there is an element of fudging involved in the lay up process since the FG shrinks a bit. Thats why you need people who know what they're doing to make the stuff! The other problem is dynamic dimensions of the mini, due to shells being handmade.

I would only really recommend Curley or Smudger (although thats from hear'say as I've never had any bits from them myself). I've never really ever met someone who's had problems with Curleys stuff. I'd say if you get something from Smudge, then cash on collection maybe an idea at the mo.

#3 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

Bloody pugs :ph34r: unlucky mate

I was thinking of getting a carbon fibre flipfront :w00t:

is this a good or bad idea?

#4 Jimbo Limbo (Trials Chimp)

Jimbo Limbo (Trials Chimp)

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

I've got a Curly one and its not too bad a fit, needed an inch cut off the back where it meets the scuttle and some sandpapering of the wings but nothing too major. I'll post some pics when im on my home pc.

#5 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

well its better iuf they are a bit oversize any way, because then you can trim them to a nice flush fit.

#6 wobblybob

wobblybob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'd say if you get something from Smudge, then cash on collection maybe an idea at the mo.

id get the full story before u go saying stuff

saw one of smudgers 1 piece clubby fronts the other week not on a car so cant say for fit but looked really good and people do say that his fronts fit very well, i got some arches from him and the quality and fit is great :w00t:

#7 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'd say if you get something from Smudge, then cash on collection maybe an idea at the mo.

id get the full story before u go saying stuff

saw one of smudgers 1 piece clubby fronts the other week not on a car so cant say for fit but looked really good and people do say that his fronts fit very well, i got some arches from him and the quality and fit is great :ph34r:

Neah, he's reffering to the trouble with the couriers :w00t:

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Indeed Wobblybob, theres always more than one way of reading things! Maybe I should have made myself more clear. If you read that thread about him the other week you'll see I was one of the guys defending him!

#9 wobblybob

wobblybob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:13 PM

ok ok

#10 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

i got my curley 2 piece through mini speed, delivery did take a while but was cheaper than most. fitment wasn't the greatest needed abit of work but don't think it will ever fit as i want it. at least a months work

#11 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

I was thinking of getting a carbon fibre flipfront :ph34r:

Are you growing any money-trees? :w00t:

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

Bloody pugs :ph34r: unlucky mate

I was thinking of getting a carbon fibre flipfront :w00t:

The one thing I'd say against carbon fibre is the added expense if you have to repair it (especially if its showing weave), or replace it.

#13 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

The one thing I'd say against carbon fibre is the added expense if you have to repair it (especially if its showing weave), or replace it.

Well ignoring the cost is it a good idea?

Does it damage easily? :w00t:

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Well, not sure how easy it would be to repair. But it should be stronger than FG, although it won't stand up to a frontal crash or anything. Would you want showing weave or painted?

#15 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

PM sent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users