5 replies to this topic

#1 MrP

MrP

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Is there a specific grade or type of wire needed to run the power to a starter motor from a solanoid and what connecters do i need.

Thx Simon

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

At least 40 square mm, you'll need 8mm eyelets both ends. These short cables are available from any car spares place pre-made or from places like Vehicle Wiring Products if you want a custom length.

#3 MrP

MrP

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

At least 40 square mm, you'll need 8mm eyelets both ends. These short cables are available from any car spares place pre-made or from places like Vehicle Wiring Products if you want a custom length.

thanks for the quick response :w00t: i'll go shopping the weekend

#4 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

40 square mm is a little bit over specced really.

20 sq mm will suffice, its capable of handling around 150 amps. I always use extra flexible 20 sq mm and have never had any problems. I tested it by cranking an engine with no ignition live for a full minute and the cable never got warm, so i would say that this is suitable enough.

#5 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:27 AM

40 square mm is a little bit over specced really.

20 sq mm will suffice, its capable of handling around 150 amps. I always use extra flexible 20 sq mm and have never had any problems. I tested it by cranking an engine with no ignition live for a full minute and the cable never got warm, so i would say that this is suitable enough.

yeah i would say its a bit over the top. but its really down to personal choice, i would go with the 20 though.

#6 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

i'm using 16mm tri-rated for my main battery cable after the original one fried itself before. did exactly the same as sy and cranked it over till the battery went flat and it wasn't even warm.

sy i still owe you a pint for the top notch bodge of my battery cable aswell when it shat itself :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users