2 replies to this topic

#1 robbo

robbo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

ive been looking around to see what manifolds are avaliable for when i finally get a good engine for my mini! but there are just so many these days. what do people recomend and what do people say NO too? Has anyone done a comprehensive guide or are there any articles on this as i no there are a far few threads on this subject knocking about but no really in depth conclusions? Hopefully this one will give more of an insight into the manifold world. If i have missed any important ones which should be considerd off the list please let me no.

and also why do they sell Y pieces seperatly? do you not get these with LCB manifolds? only pics show them all with

minspares website has loads itself. ive found a few and wonder whats the difference as most seem more or less identical to me!
some examples

manifold freeflow stage 1 (this is not LCB)

Standard bore LCB ( i take it this standard bore doesnt mean same as stock exhaust manfolds)

Manifold large bore LCB ( what do they class as large? what engines does this suit)

3 into 1 manifold (again what engines does this suit)

Manifold LCB standard bore millenium (this is meant to be more budget, so whats different to a normal one? how is performance affected)

Maniflow stage two std bore LCB (but this one has a large and reshaped middle pipe for extra performance?) Is this the one to go for?

Give us you opinions on the above please guys and gals, whats hot and whats not!

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

Ok, I'll try to help! These are by no means the definitive answer, but what I'm led to believe after other similar conversations!

Manifold Freeflow Stage 1:

Also known as the 'Cooper Freeflow' - good for 848 and 998 engines when mildly tuned.

Standard Bore LCB:

Ideal for Stage 1 1098 and Stage 1 1275 engines (some people might not agree on the 1098 but its what I ran on mine and it seemed great).

Large Bore LCB:

I *believe* this one is designed for fitment to extremely large capacity engines (1380, 1430 etc) - doesn't do much good on engines below those sizes - although I'm not 100% sure there - these are Minispares descriptions so could vary from dealer to dealer.

3 into 1 Manifold:

Primarily for race tuned engines - not that suitable for road use - but some people do use them - only good for large capacity highly tuned engines really (1275 and above).

Manifold LCB standard bore Millenium:

Now I believe this is the same as the standard LCB but is made in stainless steel....someone will have to tell you for sure there though!

Maniflow Stage II LCB:

A great manifold for 1275 and above. I have one on my Stage 4 1293 and its great. Guessworks run's one on his highly tuned 1330 and he says its great. If you're running a 1275 at stage 1 or above then this manifold is the best thing at the moment. Its expensive (as manifolds go), but Maniflow are excellent quality and I personally recommend them - they fit well, seal well and make your car go like stink (obviously providing everything else is working properly too!).

I hope that helps a bit, but like I said don't take it as gospel as other people will have different opinions and I'm probably wrong on half of them anyway! :w00t:

Tom

(oh yeah, and they sell Y-pieces seperately as they can sometimes get damaged I reckon) - all good LCB's should come with the Y piece, clamps and fitting kit)

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

Maniflow Phase 2 is the best manifold I've used so far, and even on a 290 degree cam, still is good for the job..

3 into 1's are realy only for 300+ degree cam'ed engines, so I'll be getting one of them next :w00t:

Edited by GuessWorks, 10 March 2006 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users