#1 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hello,

Over the weekend I'm swapping a complete front subframe with engine from a 998 '70 manual to a 998 '74 auto.

I've changed a front subframe on a mini before on a later car but not on one this early.I've been told that the early ones have an eight point mount and the later ones have six point,could anyone tell me whether the two units I have will be a straight swap?I don't no when the change over is.If not, is it possible to fit a six point one to an eight point one.

Any help would be great as I only found this out today and I'm ment to be starting it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bacon.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

Just to make sure I've got this right. Your going from the '74 auto to the '70 manual??

The older subframes have two bolts instead of the one big turret bolt that goes into the subframe tower. This is where the two extra mounting points come from. You have to use the right subframe for your car.

So if I understand it right you currently have a '74 auto subframe on your car at the moment? You should be able to use this for the manual. The engine mounting points on the auto are a little further forward (6 or 9mm I think) and the subby is a little wider, so you'd have to make up spacers.

Otherwise, getting hold of a good condition second hand, later type manual subframe isn't a problem, theres always one or two on Ebay, and if your close by (North Kent) then I have one, hammerited, with adjustable bottom arms and tie rods you can have for not much money at all?

#3 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

Just to make sure I've got this right. Your going from the '74 auto to the '70 manual??

The older subframes have two bolts instead of the one big turret bolt that goes into the subframe tower. This is where the two extra mounting points come from. You have to use the right subframe for your car.

So if I understand it right you currently have a '74 auto subframe on your car at the moment? You should be able to use this for the manual. The engine mounting points on the auto are a little further forward (6 or 9mm I think) and the subby is a little wider, so you'd have to make up spacers.

Otherwise, getting hold of a good condition second hand, later type manual subframe isn't a problem, theres always one or two on Ebay, and if your close by (North Kent) then I have one, hammerited, with adjustable bottom arms and tie rods you can have for not much money at all?

Thanks 'Jammy_basturd'.

Yeah,I've got a '74 auto, and what to put a manual in it.I was told that I have to change subframes so was going to take a complete subframe,engine and brakes off a mini I have and put that onto the auto.So baisically I don't need to do that at all?So I can just take the engine out put the manual in the auto subframe ( and make a couple of spacers).

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

Basically, you may need to make sure things like the alternator clear the front panel, but I've never heard it being a problem. I believe racers sometimes use automatic subframes with manuals engines as it gives them more room around the back for airboxes and carbs.

I'm sure if you do a quick search you'll find out how thick the spacers need to be. If you can't find it just shout.

#5 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for this jammy,really appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users