2 replies to this topic

#1 bendymini

bendymini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Have a very irritating problem, when i start my mini it runs for approx 6 seconds then dies. I have found out, after being towed back from half way to the MOT place, that the fuel pump fuse, 10 amp, keeps blowing.

I have tried disconnecting to fuel pipe from the injector housing and, with the aid of care and a clear bottle, found that it would pump clean petrol through longer than this when turned over.

I connected the union back up and tried to see if the injector was at fault. I took the air filter off and got my brother to turn it over. It again ran for about 6 seconds with a healthy spray, then the petrol dissapeared and was replaced by a air squirt as the fuse blew!!

I have taken the injector housing off with a view of cleaning it out but it seems a classic 'mainintance free' piece of engineering, ie cannot dismantle. I can't even take the damned injector off!! >:D

Please, any suggestions? Am i barking up the wrong tree? Can i collar a housing cheap? Do i have a lead problem? Should i stop the dog influenced questionning? :D

ps its a 1.3i 1991 cooper...

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

If the pump is blowing the fuse, it may well be time to change it, but I will ask one question, When was the fuel filter changed last? should be 48,000 or four year intervals, so your car should have seen three.

Has the car been grounded at any time which may have pinched the fuel lines under the car???

Check there is a free flow of fuel from the pump to the injection housing first.

#3 bendymini

bendymini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Have got a supply of petrol from the pipe when i disconnected it from the injector housing and turned car over (quite a lot and a bit more quickly than i thought!), replaced the filter anyway but still blows fuses. is the pressure builing up too much due to pressure regulator and associated gubbings?
checked underneath but no damage, (have had something simmilar with another mini and a sainsburys car park ramp...had to replace brake line on that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users