#1 sirmarky

sirmarky

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

ok , i have this annoying problem....
when i fill up with petrol & drive with my window wound down ther's a real bad smell of petrol.....
that is untill the tank is down to half full then there's no smell at all.
also with my window closed there is no smell at all with a full tank !
a look in the boot reveals no fault , just a slight smell of petrol but no leakage...
any ideas ? im thinking the tank beather pipe has come adrift inside the boot ?

thanks for any help in advance :D

mark

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Check the fuel-guage sender unit on the tank for leaks.

#3 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

You may well be right, or it could be a rusty tank at the top. Opening the window is likely creating (relatively) low pressure in the car, drawing the fumes from the tank area and out your window.

It's odd though because I would have thought that there were other 'holes' in the cabin for air to be drawn-in other than in the region of the tank. I would go for a rusty tank and air being drawn into the car through the breather, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Any one else got any ideas?

#4 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

check that you have the pipe attacthed to the vent on top of the tank! if you look at the tank in the boot you should see it just on the top of it near the seam on the tank!
there should be a pipe attached to this that then goes throught the boot floor! (or if it's a injected mini there should be a return pipe attached to it!)

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Whatever you do, check your tank over thoroughly to make sure there are no leaks. Leaking fuel tank and battery in boot make for an explosive combination!!

#6 sirmarky

sirmarky

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

Whatever you do, check your tank over thoroughly to make sure there are no leaks. Leaking fuel tank and battery in boot make for an explosive combination!!

yeah , i iknow what you mean....
like the time when i had a metal foot pump loose in the boot of my old mini & the battery was not covered with that cardboard cover , car stopped & smoke was coming out of the boot , the pump had welded it's self to both battery terminals :'(
talk about unsafe ! it was like a bomb waiting to go off :D

i will check the breather pipe as soon as the snow stops (we have 6 inch of the stuff here)
the sender is fine & not leaking , also there is no petrol in the boot at all , just the fumes...

cheers
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users