30 replies to this topic

#16 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

That's inner sill, pocket bottom, maybe floor (although you may get away with just the inner sill as it comes down onto the floor there), and probably the subframe mounting point (but the picture doesn't really show it). MOT failure right there.

You may also have issues with the outer 3/4 panel at the bottom, and possibly outer sills (if the inner looks that bad, the outer probably ain't pretty. Did you have a look at it while you were there?).

Are you gonna attempt the repair yourself, or get a garage to do it?

Its just not long passed its MOT.. Cowboys. The bottom looks ok, and the subframe was replaced for the Mot.. I was going to try and do something to fix it myself. Maybe a fibre glass kit thing that someone said i should do, but even they said that it would have to be welded for the next MOT.

This sucks.. :'(

#17 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

probably got oversills on underneath and yes weld it .

fibreglass is a no no.

#18 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

probably got oversills on underneath and yes weld it .

fibreglass is a no no.

How much welding does it need, how much do you guys think it would cost? :D

#19 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

If you put fibreglass on it, the MOT man will see it and fail it immediatley. He won't even bother looking any further.

It's not as huge a job as it sounds. The tricky bit there is access to it all.

Yep, it sucks, but that's life in Mini ownership. If you aren't gonna do it ourself, run it round to a garage as is, and ask them to take a quick look. They'll give you a rough estimate.

If you do it yourself, you're probably looking at around £50 in panels (per side), and a good week or 2 of chopping and welding. A good body shop'll probably need a week max.

When you look under the car, look for the outer sill inner edge. It'll be 6-9 inches in from the edge of the car. Has it been spot welded or seam welded? (assuming it's not covered in 3" of underseal!) If it's been seam welded, then it's more than likely covers. An absence of seam welding doesn't mean it's not covers, but it does narrow it down. A cover will probably mean that the outer sill has rotted through and spread the tin worm to the area. On the other hand, it may have propogated through the rusty subframe, but it won't have just gone to the inner sill, it'll have gone to the outer too.

So, garage, or DIY?

#20 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

If you put fibreglass on it, the MOT man will see it and fail it immediatley. He won't even bother looking any further.

It's not as huge a job as it sounds. The tricky bit there is access to it all.

Yep, it sucks, but that's life in Mini ownership. If you aren't gonna do it ourself, run it round to a garage as is, and ask them to take a quick look. They'll give you a rough estimate.

If you do it yourself, you're probably looking at around £50 in panels (per side), and a good week or 2 of chopping and welding. A good body shop'll probably need a week max.

When you look under the car, look for the outer sill inner edge. It'll be 6-9 inches in from the edge of the car. Has it been spot welded or seam welded? (assuming it's not covered in 3" of underseal!) If it's been seam welded, then it's more than likely covers. An absence of seam welding doesn't mean it's not covers, but it does narrow it down. A cover will probably mean that the outer sill has rotted through and spread the tin worm to the area. On the other hand, it may have propogated through the rusty subframe, but it won't have just gone to the inner sill, it'll have gone to the outer too.

So, garage, or DIY?

Looks like it'll have to be the garage... Is it dangerous to drive with that?

#21 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

I've seen worse, but get it fixed asap.

Where are you and maybe someone can point you in the direction of a good (mini friendly) body shop.

#22 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

well if it just passed an mot it will be probs be ok to drive.

i am betting on them being oversills.

#23 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

i am betting on them being oversills.

me too.!

#24 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Is it something like this im after?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Im in the dumfries area.

Is there no way this one can be fixed up?? With.. car...filler.. haha. Sorry, im new and ignorent.

#25 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

they are indeed sill inners. however, you may find that if you go to a garage, then they will charge you less for parts than you can get them for.

As I say, ask them for a rough estimate, and if you like what you hear, ask them for a proper breakdown. If they seem to be charginf a fortune for parts, then get them yourself, and have them fit them. They won't bother too much.

How does the other side look? same? I would guess so as the side you've shown isn't the one that lives gutter side of the road all day long!

Filler? No. Same reason as fibreglass. This is a major structural area of the shell, and can't just be tarted up. It fulfils a purpose.

#26 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

the pic in the ebat add looks like a outer oversill (god i have them on my mind tonight)

anyway the best bet is to chop out the rear bins and then get a patch welded in i reckon. obviously cutting out any rust first.

#27 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

Is it something like this im after?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Im in the dumfries area.

Is there no way this one can be fixed up?? With.. car...filler.. haha. Sorry, im new and ignorent.

its the smaller of the two for the outer sill, and no filler is for dents and such like, not rust!!!!! filling a rust hole is totally irresponsible especially near the rear subframe mounts......sorry if i sound rude dont mean to mate :D*

if rust is there then it needs cutting out and replacing with good metal. hope this helps.
http://www.minispare...Simple&ty=&rt=1

#28 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

they are indeed sill inners. however, you may find that if you go to a garage, then they will charge you less for parts than you can get them for.

As I say, ask them for a rough estimate, and if you like what you hear, ask them for a proper breakdown. If they seem to be charginf a fortune for parts, then get them yourself, and have them fit them. They won't bother too much.

How does the other side look? same? I would guess so as the side you've shown isn't the one that lives gutter side of the road all day long!

Filler? No. Same reason as fibreglass. This is a major structural area of the shell, and can't just be tarted up. It fulfils a purpose.

The other side isnt as bad, seems solid enough.. gave it a good smack with a spanner.. :S

The bottom does have alot of that underseal stuff.. i hope its not totally rusted under there. The thing is.. at some rust holes you can see new metal that has been welded in, i dont know if thats the new subframe or someone has welded over the top of the rust..

Im not a mechanic so excuse me when i say stupid stuff! :D

#29 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

Yep, That solid stuff'll be a sill cover, or cover plate over the existing sill mounting holes. So at least someone has repaired it at some point, you may get away with a cheap fix. If the outer cover is intact, it may just be a case of cutting out the rust from the inside, treating what's left, and putting in a single repair patch that'll take care of the inner sill, floor and closing plate. very simple (and quite cheap)for a good shop.

You're allowed to say stupid stuff on here. I do! :D regularly! :D

#30 Clayman

Clayman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

Yep, That solid stuff'll be a sill cover, or cover plate over the existing sill mounting holes. So at least someone has repaired it at some point, you may get away with a cheap fix. If the outer cover is intact, it may just be a case of cutting out the rust from the inside, treating what's left, and putting in a single repair patch that'll take care of the inner sill, floor and closing plate. very simple (and quite cheap)for a good shop.

You're allowed to say stupid stuff on here. I do! :D regularly! :D

Yay!! That sounds better.. Thanks!

Now to get a license so i can drive it to a garage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users