6 replies to this topic

#1 discodavor

discodavor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

a few weeks ago my mini started stalling when slowing down, not starting etc, was in garage for a bit and turned out i needed a new carb (got a hif44) then got it tuned. still not happy as car now revs very low and still wants to stall and now, drivng back home tonight the engine started accelerating without my foot on throttle, when i put foot on clutch the revs soared upto 8000 so i eventually got it to stop at a layby with smoke bellowing from the brakes. before i take it back to garage (already been back in cause it kept stalling after new carb fitted) was wondering what you guys think the problem is so i at least have a bit of info on my side before i take it back to garage

cheers

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

Badly installed and setup, and probably not needed in the first place. If they fitted it don't even try to work out what's wrong, just take it back and tell them to fix it.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

sticking throttle cable, i recon, causing the runnaway revs

#4 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

8000 revs!

mine revs to like 6000

Do mini's have rev limiters?

#5 discodavor

discodavor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

if they do then my limiter certianly did not work lmao

#6 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Most cars have a fuel cutoff when the engine exceeds certain revs, or the ECU limits the injector pulses. I don't what the mini has but i have seen clubman rev limiter kits available, whatever that means.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

The fuel injection cars have rev limiters built in, it is quite high but is classed as 'hard cut' where both fuel and spark are shut down litteraly stopping the engine untill the reves drop.

Clubman rev limiters are an aftermarket device that you can fit to the ignition system. it can be set to limit the revs to that you want. Some are two stage, the first being soft cut where it aproaches the limit it clips the sparks, kind of an induced missfire, if the revs still continue to rise it then goes into hard cut and totaly stops the spark untill they fall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users