#1 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Gave my mini a full service over the weekend, now the car misfires quite bad. Seems to be worse when the car is cold. Tried different leads, distributer, distibuter cap, points, and coil. Adjusted the rockers. Only thing i havent done is the timimg, timing light decided to pack up. Anyone got any ideas. Need to use the car for work tomorrow as well.
Engine is a standard 998, early 80's i think? Dont know if it makes a difference but i have an lcb with straight through centre pipe and single centre exit rear box!

HEEELLP

#2 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

If you've changed the distrubuter then the timing will definately be out.
And don't worry, your exhaust set up won't give you a mis-fire.

#3 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

do you think theres a good chance thats what it could be then?

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

i have a few questions for you which might help.

you say that you serviced it . what did you change when you did this, to start with?

2nd you mentioned changing the distributor to illiminate it, but did you time it right.

a common mistake when fitting leads to a distributor cap is fitting then clock wise, your car will run, but it misfires, they should be fitted anti clockwise on the dissy

try changing 2 and 3 leads over at the plugs, see what happens,

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

do you think theres a good chance thats what it could be then?

If you've touched the distributer, then you will definately need to do the timing. Infact, your lucky it even started.

..and as cowboy suggests, the original problem may have been the leads on in the wrong order. You will need to make sure they are correct before you attempt to do the timing.
... also make sure you have set the points gap correctly.

#6 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

[quote name='cowboy' date='Mar 12 2006, 09:44 PM' post='254820']
i have a few questions for you which might help.

you say that you serviced it . what did you change when you did this, to start with?

2nd you mentioned changing the distributor to illiminate it, but did you time it right.

For the service i started off just doing - oil, oil fliter, air filter, cooling system, drive shaft/gearbox oil seals, gearchange oil seal (was leaking oil all over the place) condenser, points, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm.

Didnt do the timing as the timing light has packed up. to be honest it was my brother in law who done most of the work as i am not really that good with engines, only know the basics. After he tried a different distibuter he was convinced he could get it running ok without the timing light? (feel free to *woman of ill repute* him off :D ) Obviously not!!

If you think this is definately the answer i will try and get someone to do the timing tomorrow some how?

has anyone got a diagram of what lead should be where on the cap in relation to the plugs? still a bit unsure about this one.

#7 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

Oh I see, I thought you'd just swapped over the dizzy and it ran. LOL
Yeah, you can get it running with out a light, but it will is likely to suffer from mis-fires etc, until you time it properly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users