#1 ChrisSpencer

ChrisSpencer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hi

Im having a few ignition problems with my mini. Its a '72 mini 1000. Im not getting a spark at all, the points, plugs, condenser, dizzy cap, rotor arm have been replaced. After we did this the mini fired fine before after about 5 mins it cut out and hasnt sparked since. i put this down to the coil because there didnt seem to be a spark in the dizzy. I replaced the coil today and still have no joy!! :D i was checking the points and got a shock of them so i assume theres a spark getting in there now, but still no spark at the plug and im baffled. before i had any of this trouble the mini was realiable so i god only knows!! any ideas anyone!!?!?

Cheers

Chris

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

have a look at all teh wiring, not just the connections onto the coil, check to see if you have a broken wire, happened to me a while back.

do you have a circuit tester, if so check to see what voltage you are getting at the coil, also dont presume the new coil works, do you have the wires on the coil right.

when you baught your new coil did you get the righ one, for a car of that age you have a non ballast ignition, so you need the right coil.

#3 ChrisSpencer

ChrisSpencer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

that'll be my next plan to go around and check the voltage. Its the right coil as far as i know and im pretty sure its wired up correctly! I followed the wires from the coil and the seem ok. im fairly sure the coils ok afer i got the shock in the dizzy!

Cheers

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:03 PM

Replace HT leads, those things can go bad even if they look alright. If you're gettin a shock from the dizzy, its the circuit after the dizzy that's the problem (dizzy cap, HT leads and spark plugs). If you replaced the cap it leaves the leads and the plugs.

Replace HT leads, those things can go bad even if they look alright. If you're gettin a shock from the dizzy, its the circuit after the dizzy that's the problem (dizzy cap, HT leads and spark plugs). If you replaced the cap it leaves the leads and the plugs.

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Quick check:
touch the pos wire that leads to coil on an earth (subframe or something) if it sparks, then the problem is with the wires from coil to dizzy. if not then there is a problem with power to the coil.
My first fix would be to put new connectors on the wires from and to the coil.
I had a problem where all wirng was new and looked good, but after 4 hours head scratching from everyone at SMD i tugged the low voltage feed from negative side of coil and the connector slipped off! When a new one was crimped on, it was sweet.

#6 ChrisSpencer

ChrisSpencer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

i'll try that with the leads. i have a feeling the condenser might have gone even though its new. i guess i can check that with a circuit tester. i think i got a shock because my brother who was helping left the ignition on while i had my fingers in the dizzy- dead safe that!!

Cheers!!

Cheers Alburglar, i'll check that too. it must be something dead simple like that!!

#7 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

your HT leads are a bit crappy chris...i did think this...the one on cylly 3 is from a different set..this won'
t be helping

#8 ChrisSpencer

ChrisSpencer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, i think no 1 is in a poor condition. i'll try that too! i cleaned them all yesterday to seeif that helped but it didnt! but even so wouldnt i get some kinda of spark on one of them?!

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

I don't wish to detract or counter any of the advice given above. It's all good. However, start with a systematic approach. I don't wish to clutter this thread so I'll refer you instead to a PDF for troubleshooting that I put together. It's late where you are. If you're still awake, print out the document and read it over. Perhaps tomorrow it will help.

http://home.mindspri...tsIgnitions.pdf

#10 ChrisSpencer

ChrisSpencer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

Thanks dklawson i'll have a bit of bed time reading!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users