Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hey,

I think I want to fit an electronic rev limiter to my Mini. It has a Stage 4 1293, and the valves bounce as 7300rpm. I've been up at that engine speed once, in second gear, and the valves bounced for about 1/100th of a second, and I haven't been there since. I'd like to fit a limiter not just because of the fact I don't want the valves to bounce again, but also because I think it would be nice to have it adjustable.

It has an Aldon Yellow dizzy fitted with the Ignitor electronic system, a Lucas Gold Sport Coil, Lumenition leads and NGK BP7ES plugs.

How does an electronic limiter work? I'm assuming it fits somewhere between the coil and the dizzy, and disrupts the HT when the revs reach the point at which its set to cut-in?

Will fitting one damage the Hall sender in the Ignitor system?

I think thats about it, just wondering on the pro's and con's really.

Ta in advance

Tom

#2 rob3

rob3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

Demon theives have a good range of these, no problems to be had re you Aldon dizzy afaik. There about £80 ish in there catalogue:

http://www.demon-twe...AD&pcode=OMERLC

http://www.demon-twe...pcode=AAE15RL01

You get the idea :D

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

No, they isolate the LT side. How big a relay pack d'you think it would need to effectively isolate 3000 volts?!?

Soft cut ones are less violent in action and I think therefore better on road cars.

#4 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

Does anyone know if you could limit the revs on a car with points and condensor. I'm desperate to do it, but I can't upgrade to elec ignition because my earth is weird and the kits (3 lumention kits so far) pack up after a week or so.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

Yeah the rev limiter boxes should work just the same on a points ignition, but being electronic and you having the floating earth problem they might last no longer than your ignition packs do.

I can't believe you still haven't sorted the earth problem on your car? It's been ages now! Is it causing many problems?

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

Yeah the rev limiter boxes should work just the same on a points ignition, but being electronic and you having the floating earth problem they might last no longer than your ignition packs do.

I can't believe you still haven't sorted the earth problem on your car? It's been ages now! Is it causing many problems?

I have a half inch thick cable from neg side of battery to front sub. and 3 braided cables from sub to engine and it made no difference! I'm gonna link subframe to roll cage too, but doubt it will help. the only thing it affects is all of the Lumenition kits. to be honest I haven't tried another make because I spent £240 on em in a month and had no probs on points and condenser.

All the rev limiter kits I've looked at said for electronic ignition only. Do you know of a specific one that will work and where to get it?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread tom

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

Really? As far as I know all the Armtech ones, all the Omex ones and all the Pertronix ones will definitely work with conventional contact breaker ignition. I believe the Micro Dynamics ones do as well but I can't be certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users