Photo

Charities Who Knock On Your Door Late In The Evening.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeymuff

Monkeymuff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Bit of a rant here so apologies,
am I alone in thinking its out of order for charities to knock on your door late in the evening,I've just had an annoyingly overly keen git knock on my door asking if I'd like to donate some money each month via direct debit.
When I said no he actually looked shocked that I didn't want to hand over my bank details and said it was only £2 a month.
I'm pretty sure that everyone who experiences this would find it slightly annoying and I'm amazed the charities themselves let it go on as surely it puts peoples backs up?
I know these are charities and unfortunately they do have to collect but surely there are better ways going about it,I've had 2 calls this week already,the other one was in the afternoon so wasn't as bad.
I could also go on about the chuggers in the street who seem to employ once again overly excited knobs from the local amateur dramatic society,but I'll resist.
Rant over. :kiss:

#2 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Wrong anybody knocking on your door anytime of the day, sick of "block pave your drive mate" (yes it is a mess ! ) Unless invited stay away !!!!

#3 majorj0nny

majorj0nny

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

*uck em! your home is your castle ! all these companies should respect that. remember that the person trying to convince you to donate is often a company said charity have employed to do the unpleasant task of drumming up business.

if the same person is repeatedly coming to your house annoying you then Id ask for his name and what charity/company he works for and report him to either trading standards and/or said charity/company.

I cant stand doorstep *uckers - if I want something I'll go looking for it. if charity plebs want to stand about in a town centre waiting for joe public to come along and drop some coppers - great, but I dunno why we have to be harassed at home.

problem with some charities, its almost expected that you WILL donate out of some moral obligation ??? and YOU are turned into the villain when you refuse.

#4 twink

twink

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

My moral obligation is fulfilled by making sure my pets, friends and family are safe, secure, fed and loved. If I choose to expand the net knocking on my door will ensure it doesn't go your way

Edited by twink, 13 July 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#5 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

I got a job as a charity fund raiser for the red cross... Worked out that less than a quarter was going to the actual charity before anything else.

... I quit on the second day- even though I needed money, that's just not right

#6 twink

twink

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

We have those charity bags of sweets for £1at work, something like less than 10p goes to charity. I've seen routes for sale as a business on ebay, they were claiming to make 30k+ a year.

I put people off buying them now, I see it as false advertising

#7 invisible_kid

invisible_kid

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Well Oxfam does make over a billion pound in profit every year..

#8 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

The question you should be asking yourself is, are they really a charity?

The amount of people that come knocking on my door (love film/council/charities/market research people) and ask me a load of questions and then get right to the end and ask me for all my details. They always get really annoyed when you turn round and say no. If I wanted to buy something off you I would contact you and give you my details. I am not about to hand over my card details to someone who has just turned up at my door.

The last guy I got got really annoyed at me for not wanting to provide a phone number to them. I pointed out that they should start with this question first as a load of people will turn round and say no saving them time. He got so annoyed I gave him a phone number in the end. Who's I don't know, but its a phone number.

#9 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I have collected door-to-door for Oxfam and I won't do it again. I felt embarrassed. I think door-to-door cold calling for anything, charity, insurance, solar panels, tarmac, Jehovah's Witnesses, anything, should be banned by law. (Plus meter reading should be much more carefully vetted.)

I put money in collection tins, donate online or do charity events in the mini. There are plenty of local charities round here run by local people to use up my loose change.

#10 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

The sole reason I don't donate to charity is that I don't know how much of it the people who need it actually get. However I'd be much more inclined if charities staff didn't get most of it.

#11 Mabird

Mabird

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Oregon Mini Society

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

The only "National" charity we donate to is the Salvation Army, they're always there in times of need. Locally we give our $$$$ to Shop with a firefighter. Our local F Fighters take less fortunate kids out shopping at christmas and let them choose whatever they want. It's great fun, they are taken to the Shop in the Fire Engines and are given a Pizza dinner, before they go home.

Any other charity can pee off as far as I'm concerned, I would rather support something local than have my donations swallowed in Admin and big salaries to the staff.

#12 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

I don't care who you are..... charity worker, door to door seller, Jehovahs witness, or canvassing politician. If you come to my door uninvited and you're not delivering something, or here to read the meter, then you're trespassing!!!Posted Image

#13 Monkeymuff

Monkeymuff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ah well I'm glad I'm not alone then,I think it goes without saying that everyone hates the cold calling,sky TV,windows etc. But lately for some reason there seems to have been a rise in charities knocking on doors late in the evening.
To me and by the sound of the rest of posters here they aren't doing themselves any favours.
The charity which knocked were from the Great Ormond street kids hospital so I did feel kind of crap saying no,he showed me his badge and he was wearing what looked like official kit so I had no reason to doubt he was genuine,but saying that I have been the victim of a knock at the door with a women saying I've moved in a few doors down could I borrow £10 as I need to feed my kids Kidney machine...I kid you not :angry:

#14 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

The sole reason I don't donate to charity is that I don't know how much of it the people who need it actually get. However I'd be much more inclined if charities staff didn't get most of it.

Most people who work for a charity work there to get a salary so they can pay there mortgage, feed the kids, etc.

I see your a welder I have loads of projects for you how about you come and work for me for free and I will then make a donation to a charity of your choice, no? because you have to live and pay your way why do expect other people not to earn a decent living?

I don't like people knocking on my door either, I usually tell them I have my own charity I support

David

#15 old original

old original

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

I actually gain from some of these charities. I never give them a penny but they occasionally leave me plastic sacks for my rubbish. They look quite disappointed when they come to collect it to be told what I've used it for. As I explain, "once through my letterbox IT'S MINE!!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users