Photo

Charities Who Knock On Your Door Late In The Evening.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Lee_bash

Lee_bash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Those bags don't usually go to charity anymore, oxfam said they're having issues because of rogue collectors having all their possible stock.

#17 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

I can see the annoyance and there are charities I won't support (oxfam, nspcc, RSPCA) because of the way they work, but in my experience most charities are run well and do make a massive difference. Don't forget that the majority of research into illnesses such as cancer and heart disease is funded by charity. Wounded soldiers are supported by the likes of help for heroes and the less well known but utterly brilliant troop aid. I am not a fan of door knockers but the suggestion that most charities are in it for themselves is ridiculous. Having supported several charities for many years I can see the good that has been done in that time. I have had this conversation at work and to be honest most people who come out with excuses as to why they don't donate are usually just covering up for the fact they are tight. If that is the case fair enough but at least own up to it.

#18 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Those bags don't usually go to charity anymore, oxfam said they're having issues because of rogue collectors having all their possible stock.

My understanding is that charities don't tend to process the contents of those bags any more anyway. Instead the bags tend to be collected by private companies that then sort and process the contents before sell them on in bulk, and donating a percentage of the profits made to the charity that they are collecting on behalf of.

#19 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I actually gain from some of these charities. I never give them a penny but they occasionally leave me plastic sacks for my rubbish. They look quite disappointed when they come to collect it to be told what I've used it for. As I explain, "once through my letterbox IT'S MINE!!"

I'm not the only person who does that then.

There is loads of stuff in my house that I need to get rid of. I could give it to charity or I can put it on ebay on a free listing weekend all starting a 99p. Any money I make then goes to charity...The Mike Jones Beer/Mini/Diesel fund.

Anybody want to kit their uni flat/house out in Cov ask.

#20 ross k

ross k

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

i find it very annoying people knocking on the door etc but looking at it from the other side i was doing a job today delvering council newsletters and i got told to deliver them to every house so only put them in letter boxes etc no annoying people and the amount of people who were rude to me and it really annoyed me im just trying to do my job its a piece of paper if you dont want it bin it i just dont see the need to be rude really everyone needs a job but seriouslly its ridiculous how few people have letter boxes where do you post stuff sorry rant over

#21 majorj0nny

majorj0nny

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yeah bloody Kleeneeze catalogues ! gggrrrrrr.....

these a-holes basically post you junk mail - with a letter on it saying that you have to keep the junk mail safe somewhere and put it out some day the next week...

I dont want anything from this crap catalogue ffs ! I never even look in it, and since I dont particuarly want junk mail hanging around the house all week , the only place for it is to leave it on the doorstep or chuck it in the bin.

I think they get charged for the catalogues or something cause they are obsessed with getting it back... and keep leaving little notes in it for you to call them back to arrange when they can collect their junk mail that you never asked for! AAAGGHHHHH .

I once had one that didnt collect the junk mail when they said they would, so I binned it in the recycling, for a few weeks they kept coming round in the day when we were at work, posting little notes about us phoning them to arrange collection - eventually I got fed up and dug the thing out the recycling bin - it was soaking wet and covered in bean juice or whatever and I dumped it in the bag and left it on my doorstep - the person must have turned up - took their blank order form back and had the cheek to leave the catalogue on my step.

I hate them.

#22 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have a little sign on my door which basically says no charity callers, no sales, no religious callers. Since I put it up only one person chanced their arm.

I asked him if he could read. He said "Yes" so I pointed to the sign and asked him why he was wasting my time. To his credit he apologised and left.

#23 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

You are not alone. They really drive me crazy.

The ones that really get me are the lot in the shopping malls, I was in Bluewater a few weeks ago, just a quick shoot in, pick up some jeans and go home sort of deal and I had some ponce from LoveFilm follow me from M&S to Levis asking me to register, she seemed to take "I am not interested" as some sort of challenge.

Thinking about it now a year or so ago I had a guy from LoveFilm (its got to be something about them) knock on my door and tried pushing products in my face.

Its worse when you are washing the car or something, you just can't avoid them.

My recent tactic is "My mum isn't in" 6ft and quite clearly in my 20's but some how works?

#24 Lee_bash

Lee_bash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yeah bloody Kleeneeze catalogues ! gggrrrrrr.....

these a-holes basically post you junk mail - with a letter on it saying that you have to keep the junk mail safe somewhere and put it out some day the next week...

I dont want anything from this crap catalogue ffs ! I never even look in it, and since I dont particuarly want junk mail hanging around the house all week , the only place for it is to leave it on the doorstep or chuck it in the bin.

I think they get charged for the catalogues or something cause they are obsessed with getting it back... and keep leaving little notes in it for you to call them back to arrange when they can collect their junk mail that you never asked for! AAAGGHHHHH .

I once had one that didnt collect the junk mail when they said they would, so I binned it in the recycling, for a few weeks they kept coming round in the day when we were at work, posting little notes about us phoning them to arrange collection - eventually I got fed up and dug the thing out the recycling bin - it was soaking wet and covered in bean juice or whatever and I dumped it in the bag and left it on my doorstep - the person must have turned up - took their blank order form back and had the cheek to leave the catalogue on my step.

I hate them.

What you want to do, is to circle/tick everything in the book. Their little face will light up until they see the monopoly money you're trying to pay them with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users