31 replies to this topic

#1 josh austin mini city e 82

josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

well im 17 i have a 1982 998cc mini and am currently looking to get insured... but yes im 17 and getting a reasonable quote is easier said than done.
been looking through comparison websites and quotes vary from 4k+ !!
im 18 soon and will probably wait untill then before i even try and get insured, but when i do where is best and cheapest?
quotes are about 3k + when im 18 but still alot more than i want to pay
heard a few people talking about graham sykes insurance? and people my age paying about £1500 +/- ?
how does this work and why is it so much cheaper?

#2 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

one of the best tips i tried back when i was first looking, was adding an older person (parent etc) as a named driver. this took my quotes down from 3k to 2k. also, state a limited mileage eg. 5000 miles a year as this will also drastically affect your quote prices, it dropped my first year to 1500 on a corsa.

i also found that insuring myself TF&T was 200 more than fully comp, and 3rd party only was then 200 more than that.

i dont know about other people but i found that saying you park it on the road was cheaper than parking it in a garage or even on your drive.

now starting my 3rd year, i'm getting quotes of 500 fully comp for the mini with all the modifications declared. so its all worth it.

#3 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Got a quote the other day, mum + dad both on the insurance, both 20years + no claims, milage 4000, fully comp, parked over night on a private drive and no mods. (with me as just turned 18) and it was £3100 -.-
its an absolute joke !
but im hearing of people my age paying about 1500? how?

#4 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

yeah thats a crazy price. im not entirelly sure on that one mate, i guess some people just get lucky

#5 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Might have something to do with location? mines £1650 fully comp, non classic insurance, im main driver, dad is named etc.

You tried classic insurance?

#6 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

my friend insured his 1.1 mk2 fiesta 1984 for 2700 hes 17. so surley me being 18 and driving a 998 should be cheaper? and live in a generally much quieter place than him?

#7 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

classic insurance was more strangely?
you heard anything about graham sykes insurance ? heard of a number of people getting cheaper insurance there.

#8 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Well it could be to do with the fact that insurance companies think the mini is a baked bean can driven by people who think theyre paddy hopkirk.

I think the reason mine was cheap is the fact that if i was in an accident, they'd no doubt write it off immediately.

With insurance its pot luck. Every year we get horrendous quotes, every year people moan about it, the companies know we'll pay because we want to drive, i was getting quotes of 4.5k just for sensible group one cars.

Try some of the classic insurers on the phone, they dont bother with people our age online.

#9 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

im pretty sure you cant get classic insurance till you're atleast 21? some even 25 i think? if you've ever seen The Wheel Of Fortune, i think thats how insurance works...

#10 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Loads of people get on classic at 17, you just have to phone up and ask, ive been told peter james are good.

#11 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

yehh most wouldn't even quote because i was too young, foun 2 that did but like i say they were more. hmmm baked bean can .. yehh suppose but i highly doubt my (baked bean can) would get up to a fast enough speed to injure anyone or pose a threat :lol:

#12 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

ah fair play, i phoned around maybe 5 and they all so no because i wasnt yet 21, guess i tried the wrong ones.
i dunno what else to try, some companies dont like students, some dont like guys, some dont like your phone number, i guess just keep shopping around. try Elephant.co.uk quite a few people i know (all under 21) are insured with them as it was the cheapest option

#13 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

ha thats another thing! kept everything on the quote the same but changed it to my girlfriends name and address and it was £1200 !?!? what the hell? im seriously debating chopping my you know what off!

#14 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

yeah my girlfriend lives literally 3 roads from me, and its 150 cheaper if i lived there too

#15 josh austin mini city e 82

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

and for some reason the title above my profile pic has changed to learner driver now? passed my test a while back ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users