4 replies to this topic

#1 barryc

barryc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

My car has been sitting for well over a year. When I went to depress the clutch pedal it was stuck solid. thinking this would just be the clutch arm sticking, I pressed harder. By doing this I have ruined the seals in the slave cylinder (which was ropey at best anyway). However more worrying is the arm is stuck in the "clutch depressed" position and hasn't returned to its usual position! Is it likely that the arm is just a little stiff and needs to be freed up or am I looking at something worse? Obviously I will be replacing the slave cylinder and will use a braided hose.

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

work the arm in and out with a crowbar and lots of penetrating oil and it'll be fine. it'll be the plunger thats seized where it goes into the wok...

#3 barryc

barryc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

Forgot to ask, what type of clutch do I have. The release arm is the long type and the slave cylinder is mounted on the bellhouse casing rather than a seperate bracket.

#4 Dolts

Dolts

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

i had the exact same problem on my old 93 cooper, just soaked it in WD and worked it with a big bar

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

you have a pre-verto clutch, and yeah as Bud says, penetrating oil and work it backwarda and forwards should do the trick, you've encountered electrolytic corrosion there! (and the perils of mixing aluminium and steel in close proximity + water = bad!:D)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users