40 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

I’ve always wanted another tamiay mo3 mini to go along side the other completely standard one painted like the full size 25 I have. And after the last few weeks on ebay (I really don’t want to know how much in total I’ve spent) I’ve got this one built from all new parts and a few extras.

Its basically a standard mo3 chassis, but with a few optional extras. So far I have a set of 3 racing shocks, on road tuned spring kit, stronger front steering arms and hubs in blue chrome. Full set of ball bearings (original grease flushed out with brake cleaner and then oiled with wd40) hollow carbon shafts, reinforced gear set, 1.5degree toe in rear uprights again in blue chrome, front and rear sway bars and blue alloy servo mounts.

At the moment it’s only running a 20turn motor with standard gearing, but on a nice open smooth car park it has more than enough power to spin the front tyres.

But the most expensive item has to be the body. I found a new old stock one tucked away in a local model shop for £25 with the stickers; they normally go for £35 on ebay. I then probably spent (had a few left over half used cans) that again just on the paint. The multicolour union jack roof was all hand masked and sprayed up with cans and then finished off with white pinstripe type. The blue also got a light backing coaut of metallic purple and then black, so in some lights the blue has a slightly deep blue/purple look to it. Although because of the time and money that’s gone into the shell I’ve since bought a cheaper one and just painted it up in a standard green and white roof combo.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by 1984mini25, 23 July 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#2 The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

The.Yellow.Mini.Guy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

I want one of them! it would be so fun! haha

and on a side note.. i used to rollerblade all the time and i used to oil my (quite expense) bearings with WD40 and it just used to ruin them.. not sure why it it.But ever since i havent used it as a lube for bearings, i know nothing about rc bearings but from past experience WD40 ain't good for them :/

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Well to be honest this is the first one i've tried using wd40 as lube in the bearings, normally i've just fitted them as they come. But by lubing with wd40 the bearings spin for a lot longer, how long they last only time will tell. But then a standard set of 14 bearings for one of these cars is only £7. Although the bearings for this one cost £22 as I had to buy another set to be able to use the blue hubs. Standard m03 bearings are 11x5, but the stronger hubs (std black ones in the Kit) from the later kits use 10x5 bearings.

Another speed trick I'm trying is lubing the main gears with silicone dashboard spray as apposed to grease. Like they say every little helps lol.

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

wd40 kills bearings as grit and all that carp gets stuck in it, basically making a very rough griding paste, which isnt good on bearings,

I also learnt the hard way with my blades and oiling the bearings with it, now I use BSB high speed lubricant, seems to work well and bearings spinning for longer dosnt mean they are working better when loaded, I have had bearings that spin for 5 mins when off the ground, but when actually being used with my weight on just wobble and dont work properly,

just FYI :)

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Time will tell, besides on each time i've used this one it's been striped down cleaned and checked over anyways.

#6 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

amazing job mate, hopefully mine will be as good as this if I ever get round to sorting it. the roof sets it off well!

#7 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Time will tell, besides on each time i've used this one it's been striped down cleaned and checked over anyways.

yeah when i first got into blading I stripped my bearings every 2 weeks and it was fine, it was when i got lazy and left it that one collapsed on me on a skate and i hit the deck, when i got home looked at the cage and it was noticeably bigger and scratched from all the grit, not so bad with an RC car but when you only have 4 wheels to balance on and one of the fronts go, thats when it gets interesting!

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

amazing job mate, hopefully mine will be as good as this if I ever get round to sorting it. the roof sets it off well!

What's up with yours? I had someone come up to me asking for advice while playing with the blue one at gaydon.

As for the roof, I dunno really why but i've become bored of one colour wonders for rc bodys. I've already played around with flames, splatter and marble effects, but inspiration for this body came from lookingaround homebase of all places. I don't know if they still have them, bur they were selling solar powered garden minis that the headlamps light up. I just adapted The roof design slightly and chose blue instead of purple.

It also confused The guy in The local modelzone store as to why I was buying so meany spray cans. As I'd heard that as they were discontinuing that line of rc stuff all there sprays were discounted from £5.99 to £1.99 with The exception of The blue. But I ended up using 9 different colours just on that one body.

#9 minimaxie

minimaxie

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

What's up with yours? I had someone come up to me asking for advice while playing with the blue one at gaydon.

As for the roof, I dunno really why but i've become bored of one colour wonders for rc bodys. I've already played around with flames, splatter and marble effects, but inspiration for this body came from lookingaround homebase of all places. I don't know if they still have them, bur they were selling solar powered garden minis that the headlamps light up. I just adapted The roof design slightly and chose blue instead of purple.

It also confused The guy in The local modelzone store as to why I was buying so meany spray cans. As I'd heard that as they were discontinuing that line of rc stuff all there sprays were discounted from £5.99 to £1.99 with The exception of The blue. But I ended up using 9 different colours just on that one body.

oh nothing wrong with it, needs a good clean, and the shell needs painting as the one that came with it was destroyed and buckled in some places.

ah I know the solar powered minis youre talking about. ah thats cool, how many layers of laquer did you apply?

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

oh nothing wrong with it, needs a good clean, and the shell needs painting as the one that came with it was destroyed and buckled in some places.

ah I know the solar powered minis youre talking about. ah thats cool, how many layers of laquer did you apply?

That's one of The interesting things with rc bodies, they are painted from The inside. The shine comes from The polycarb The body is moulded from.

#11 glyn

glyn

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: leyland mini club

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I found this web site good.

http://www.adurrc.or...ing-tamiya-mini

#12 minimaxie

minimaxie

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

That's one of The interesting things with rc bodies, they are painted from The inside. The shine comes from The polycarb The body is moulded from.

Lol i never knew they were painted from the inside! Good job you told me that haha

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

I found this web site good.

http://www.adurrc.org/index.php/circuit/classes-raced/mini-tamiya-m035/how-to-build-a-race-wining-tamiya-mini

I've also found this one helpful
http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php

#14 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Lol i never knew they were painted from the inside! Good job you told me that haha

This might be helpful...
http://www.rchobbies.org/rc-body-painting.htm

Or The thread I started when painting a metro 6r4 body...
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/222374-metro-6r4-project/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by 1984mini25, 25 July 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#15 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

And a few picks of The m03 collection

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by 1984mini25, 28 July 2012 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users