32 replies to this topic

#1 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

hello all. just done a service today on the 998, and im trying to sort out the steady between the gearbox and the front of the subframe. basically, a while ago a cat decided to try and destroy my mini. he took out the bolt and the bushes on the steady at the gearbox end. i got new bushes and a bolt and tried to fix it back up today, but it appears that the engine has moved, as the steady will no longer line up with the bracket on the gearbox. its almost like the steady bar is too long now.

i undid the top engine steady to try and rock the egnine back over, but no amount of movement will line it up. im sure that when it first happened it would line up. does anyone know why the engine has moved and how i can fix this? i need to do it soon as i dont want my manifold broken again.

cheers,
stefan

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

a cat undid the engine steady? as in meow? OMG!

you need to push harder! it will go in, you are pushing on a very heavy engine! (and things like the exhaust are trying to hold it in place) Put your shoulder in it! (or get the cat to help!) :dontgetit:

#3 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

lol, his head did if that helps :dontgetit: hit him about 40. he survived tho.

well, me and my dad arent exactly small guys and we couldnt push it. it really wont budge at the bottom.

hmmm now i duno what to do!

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

try loosening or disconecting the top engine steady and the ultimate engine steady if you have one.

#5 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

already tried that miniboo. didnt work. hmmm. this sucks for something so simple lol. i just dont want to have to take it to a garage and get my engine moved around because of a cat.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

Is your 998 powerful? I have a Stage 1 on the normal engine mounts and the engine steady is solid, with a ultimate engine steady fanside and the engine doesn't rock at all.

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

are you sure its the right length? has the bracket on the front been moved because of the crash?

#8 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

i found mine wouldnt line up once, when i looked i could see that the hole was too low by about 2 mm, this was because the engine mounts were starting to go squishy, to solve it i just put a trolley jack with a peice of wood on under my sump and jacked it up the tiny amount i needed.

the first time i did this it took about an hour because i didnt realise it was slightly low, then next time 2 mins from jacking it up, might be the same problem so well worth a look.

#9 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

ive got a stage 1 on it. and its a 998, so no i wouldnt say its powerful :dontgetit: well, its just got the steady on the side of the block at the moment. when i start the engine and give it some revs from idle, the whole engine does move forward ever so slightly, and i dont want this breaking my exhaust again so thats why i really need to get the gearbox steady on.

what about if i bought one of those ultimate steadies for the gearbox and put that on?

#10 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

have you changed your engine mount recently at all?? if they have perished this would be why it rocks.
fitting a gearbox steady would help to stop the engine rocking.
as too would a top ultimate engine steady.

#11 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

could be the bracket on the subframe thats moved.... will check tomoro.

right. if i have no steadies attached to my engine, should it be moving back and forth like an inch? if not, im guessing the engine mounts are shot. yay. how much will this cost me? and im assuming i have to take it to a garage for them to overcharge me to fit them =)

this would also explain why its moved since the crash?

#12 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

I'm with Jammy. Take the weight off of it a bit by jacking SLIGHTLY the bottom of the engine. Make sure you put a block of wood in there though. Don't want the cat gettting all oily from a cracked sump!

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

I'm with Jammy.

You are?? :ermm: I thought we agreed our relationship was just going to be for fun?? :dontgetit: :ph34r:*

#14 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

You know I get possessive! :dontgetit:*

#15 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

engine mounts dont cost much for standard ones about £10 or about £20 for polyurethane which are more durable.
your best bet is to do it yourself or get someone you know to do it for you.

its not a hard job but can take a while, if you by the ones with captive screws like this;
http://www.minispeed...ct&id=21a1902st

you dont have to fiddle around trying to get a spanner into the engine bay when it comes to tightening them up, just line the engine up and put the bolt through the subframe and into the mount.

the best way of finding out hiow to do this is to get a haynes manual.

if all else fails get a garage to do it, but i dont know how much they would charge to be honest, its a couple of hours job basically.

and no it should be moving an inch, that sounds like the mounts have perished to me.

I'm with Jammy. Take the weight off of it a bit by jacking SLIGHTLY the bottom of the engine. Make sure you put a block of wood in there though. Don't want the cat gettting all oily from a cracked sump!

i believe that was my comment pikey7, no offence taken :dontgetit:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users