3 replies to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:47 AM

I cant show you a picture because TMF wont let me upload for some reason, but on my carb next to the throttle cable mount is a little black box with 2 spade connectors on it and under that its got a brass threaded block.

Im pretty sure its to restrict the airflow thru the actuator pipe so that it switches the boost levels, right? so the plenum connects to the solenoid, then the solenoid to the turbo&actuator... yes?

if i just put the pipe from the turbo to the plenum, this would boost at 4.5psi constant...confirmation?

ohh ohhh and i was cleaning my head up and found 25.5cc stamped in one corner, ideal its done already, but im going for 30cc to be on the safe side... am i right in doing this? because i compensate with boost cant i?

cheers

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

It's the electronic boost solenoid, this usually works in conjuction with the ECU & is used to switch the boost between 4.5psi and 7psi. 4.5psi below 4,500rpm and 7psi thereafter.
The actuator as standard is set to 4.5psi, so if you run without the ECU you will have a constant 4.5psi when on boost.
You could always put the solenoid on a switch and operate it manually to change boost levels, high boost low boost sort of thing ...
No pipes go from the plenum to the Turbo ? The actuator is connected to the brass fitting on the inlet side of the Turbo.
As for chamber size, the standard ones are roughly 21.4cc so 25.5 is a fair increase in size. What compression are you aiming for ? what kind of boost do you plan on running ? there's no point lowering the compression even more if it's not nesassery ....

Cheers
Phil. :D

#3 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:25 PM

I cant show you a picture because TMF wont let me upload for some reason,

sorry its a surver problem at the mo.
we cant do nothing about it, till the surver sort them selfs out.

#4 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:55 PM

ahh well its good to know that its not my pc being a b****rd again... lol.

i thought it was the solenoid. baddabing!

dont the pipe from the actuator, goto the brass t-piece ont he turbo, which then goes to the solenoid which then goes to the fitting on the plenum? (brake master side)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users