6 replies to this topic

#1 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

:dontgetit: Hello i have a 1293 carb mini with electronic ignition, would a lucas non ballast sports coil be suitable for the car???. ive no idea what to look for here, have tried a search but hasnt answered my question really, thanks for your help.

#2 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

What ingition setup is it, ballast or non ballast? Also what electronic ignition system is it?

I dont think it can be used though.

#3 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

ive been told is non ballast, i have no idea about the ignition set up as yet im afraid :dontgetit: .

#4 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

The electronic ignition coil IS different so I doubt you could fit the sports one !

If you need a new one then a GCL 143 from MiniSpares is what you want!

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

Well I have a 1293 with electronic ignition (Aldon Ignitor), non ballast system, and the LSC works fine! I also think it'll work fine with Metro Electronic Systems too....

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

All I know is
Pre 83 it's non ballast, after 84 it's ballast

#7 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

1984mini25, that's how they came out of the factory. However i've seen many newer cars converted to non ballast ignition.

The way to check if you've got ballasted or non ballasted is switch on your engine (or at least ignition), get a volt meter and measure the voltage against the + side of the coil, and a ground (you can use the engine block for that). If its around 12v then you've got non ballast, if its somwehere around 8v then its a ballasted ignition and therefore you'll either have to use a ballasted coil or convert to non ballast.

You can unreliably get away with using a ballast coil on a 12v ignition system (will produce a bigger spark), but the coil will burn out much quicker and there is no telling how long it will last. I've had one last me several months (then i switched ignition to 12v), I know of at least 2 cases where people use them without any problems at all, but equally I know people who have done it and ended up burning the coils after a few weeks. Therefore don't do this unless you have some sort of reason for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users