#1 miniracer2007

miniracer2007

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Hello

Is it possible to fit power steering to a late Rover mini cooper sport?
Who would be able to fit it?

Thanks

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

No kits available as such. Power steering HAS been adapted from other car models (Opel Corsa?) on a few minis but in each case it was a one off job, which means a lot of work and therefore not cheap!

It is not an easy modification by any means. If you are desparate for lighter steering, a slightly larger steering wheel and smaller wheels (and tyres!) with bigger inset will help.

#3 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

watsons do a kit for their Vtech mini's! not sure if it's available seperately but might be worth checking out

#4 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

There is an electric power steering kit available, it was posted on here a while ago,
have a quick search and you might find it.

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Jack knight Developments sell a electric kit that sits in the middle of the steering column, so it doesn't take up any engine bay space.

#6 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

Ive seen a rear engined rear wheel drive VTEC mini that had power steering, but there was room under the bonnet for it with the engine being behind the driver.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

Mini Sport developed a kit some time ago and fitted it to one or two experimental cars but it never went into full production. It was the all electric worm gear type similar to what the Jack Knight one above seems to be but I must admit I didn't know they did one (for the Mini anyway, they do one for Morgans). There is another classic car parts company that does an all electric type too, but I can't remember who they are. If it comes to me I'll get back to you.

Motorbility (the people who make disability conversions for cars) offered power steering for Minis which was based on a hydraulic servo box fitted to the bottom of the steering column, I tried but couldn't find much information about this system but they might tell you something if you ask them.

The steering rack from a Princess I think is very similar to a Mini's and was available in a power assisted version. This has been used in the past on Mini's many times using the pump from some other Rover car but I can't remember which.

It's been done a lot of times in various ways but unless you have a disability it's generally regarded as a bit pointless on Mini's which have very direct and fairly light steering. Although if you've got a Sportspack Mini you might find it a bit heavy, in which case the answer is to put proper wheels on it ! :D

#8 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:15 AM

wasnt there a few jap minis that had power steering? i sure i remember watching something on the tele that said they crammed so much in there wasnt a single cm3 of space in the engine bay. I know it had air con. but maybe it didnt have power steering

#9 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yes minisport were doing power steering conversions, they quoted me about 800 quid for one, two years ago. im not sure if they are still doing this.

#10 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

Yes, exports to japan had aircon and power steering. The conversions were done off line at longbridge, a company called Astro Air Ltd did the aircon and i can't for the life of me remember who did the PAS it cost rover about £1000 for each car (for both conversions).... Give Heritage motor centre at Gaydon a call. They have an archive depart who have all of Moris/Austin/BL/ Rovers build specs and should be able to shed some light.

Biggav was formerly a Customer service manager for Rover... and takes no responsibility for the companies demise, it was their fault for stopping mini production.

ooo yer... i seem to remember something about it not being fitted to sportpack cars as they have a quickrack system and the two were not compatible..... i think... damned photographic memory!!!

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

Are you sure about this? I've never heard of Japan spec having power steering. They did have AC but I was certain it was a Rover part. In fact I have photo's of cars going down the line fitted with AC parts and the AC section of the microfiche somewhere too. My Grandfather was with the supplier of dashes to Rover for a long while and they always sent the Japan spec dashes direct to Longbridge with everything else. The Astroair system was entirely different. Rover sold far more Mini's in Japan than in Germany or Britain during the last years of production, how would it be economical to have most of the cars made off the line?

You could be right but it's nothing I've heard of before.

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

if you've got a Sportspack Mini you might find it a bit heavy, in which case the answer is to put proper wheels on it ! :ermm:

Tut Tut :w00t:

Sports packs are proper wheels, its those deep dish twelves and 13x8s that need binning :genius:

#13 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

Power steering was never an option on the mini, even the exports.

#14 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

I only ever visited longbridge once in 1996 or 97(i was based at Cowley) at that time BMW started pushing Mini as its own brand and wanted to increase the market ready for the new mini there was definatley a contractor doing PAS installations in a bay, and A guy from astro air tinkering with cars (at that time they had to fit the heater/ air con unit on the line themselves as the workforce refused to, and do the rest of the process off line as it took too long) There were some very interesting things going on at that time.. i remember they were also doing cars for the avengers film in the show bay and loads of one off cars designed by famous people... anyway they definatley made non sport pack jap spec cars with power steering... these may have been publicity or show models.. i moved on to the Rover 800 recall soon after the visit then left customer service to go to production so never went back to the Asylum.. i mean Longbridge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users