4 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan

Ivan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

What fuel consumption should I expect from a 1976 Mini 850?

#2 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

my 79 850 would run for ages on £5. never worked it out properly but got bout 40ish miles out of £5 once and that was in average conditions. but is obviously completely dependant on how you drive, in what conditions and where u are driving. All i can say it it shouldnt be costing you alot

hope it helps a bit. i take it you think ur's is costing too much??

si

#3 Ivan

Ivan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

Thanx for the info, but I do not buy my petrol in the UK, so "£5" doesn't help much :D

I was hoping for something like "In town, around xx , in the open road yy" (mpg, l/100km...)

Also, what would be the first 5 things to check, if the consumption is running wild?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

Well an average 998 should be between 40-45 mpg, some people get a little more, some a little less. I can't see a 850 being too far from that figure. Just need to convert to l/km.

#5 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

mine worked out at 6.9l/ 100km. That was driving in mainly open roads /motorways.

unfortunately i no longer have my 850 to tell u anymore figures, but should give u a rough idea. but as jb said some people get a little more and some a little less.

one way for fuel consumption to be high is to have an incorrect fuel mixture on your carb. quick check is to take out one of your spark plugs and have a look at the condition, if they have a black coating on the spark end then your mixture is too rich and your carb will need to be adjusted.

si

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users