Photo
- - - - -

Reversing Light not reversing...Hazard Light not hazarding...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

As stated in the topic... Just wondering which light is has the reverse light (as in rear clusters) and is there a wire that leads from the gearbox to the light at the back could it be possible that the cable/wire has snapped?

My hazards don't hazard aswell... caused me a bit of grief when i broke down on a round-a-bout. Wondering where the relay might be? Also i wanted to put one of those missile switches instead of the normal hazard switch...

toggle light switch...

Attached File  toggle.jpg   10.19K   4 downloads Attached File  missile.jpg   12.44K   5 downloads

#2 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

could be the switch in the remote housing, or sometimes the wires come unplugged, and the hazards could be a relay, or could be fuses, check all this.

#3 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

what year is your car? my hazard relay is on the righthand side on the bulkhead

#4 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

what year is your car? my hazard relay is on the righthand side on the bulkhead

I have a 1990 mini city... but it has a 1275 in it now... if that makes a difference. I'm a bit mini experienced... what does the relay look like?

#5 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

water in the rear lights maybe?

you cant do a straight swap for the hazard switch, you need to work out how isolate the indicators and basically make the 6 pins do this:

Posted Image

#6 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

water in the rear lights maybe?

you cant do a straight swap for the hazard switch, you need to work out how isolate the indicators and basically make the 6 pins do this:

Posted Image

woah... hmmm so im guessing thats a diagram for the hazard switch as they are and thats how it should go with the missile switch?

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Try getting a new hazard switch (which, I *think* has to be illuminated when on), that may sort out your hazards, if not, your relay (in Mk3-4) should be on the bulkhead (don't say right hand side Wobbit, no one knows which right your talking about!) on the nearside, by the windscreen wiper motor (on RHD cars). If your indicators aren't flashing either then it will be the relay behind the dash by the steering column.

Your reverse lights; the switch for these is on the box at the bottom of the gear lever (rod change minis), the wires go quite close to the exhaust so make sure they haven't melted. Also, as Neil says, check for water in the lights.

Of course, if you have a multimeter it would make fault finding easy!

#8 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

my point was that you wont find an ordinary/misile switch that does the above diagram. you need to do a bit of circuit customising. there are a few guides about if you google or search minifinity i know theres one on there somewhere.

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

You need to use relays to use a regular 2 pin switch for your hazards, and you won't get away with using less than 2/3 relays. It's not easy, believe me, getting a new hazard switch is much easier and cheaper and less likely to go wrong :D

#10 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

You need to use relays to use a regular 2 pin switch for your hazards, and you won't get away with using less than 2/3 relays. It's not easy, believe me, getting a new hazard switch is much easier and cheaper and less likely to go wrong :D

indeed, 4 relays i think was my original plan but apparently you can get away with a few diodes?

#11 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

indeed, 4 relays i think was my original plan but apparently you can get away with a few diodes?

I think a new hazard switch maybe the answer. (damn)

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

Of course you can use a toggle switch (stop calling it a missile switch, you sound like a chav) for hazard lights. Toggle switches are designed for industrial process control and so come in hundreds of different functions and pinouts. For the hazard switch you need a four pole double throw changeover type, get one and I'll tell you how to wire it. Hundreds of relays end up in cars because people can't be bothered to track down the right switch, the total load of the hazards is about 10 amps and a toggle switch can easily handle that. A relay is not needed. Oh, but Jammy is right it does need a telltale, which should have the warning triangle symbol on it. These are readily available from people that sell kit car parts.

Check all your wires and fuses as above first though. Look under the carpet, the reverse lamp switch is connected just under the heater and it's easy to disconnect it with your clutch foot.

Edited by Dan, 17 March 2006 - 11:13 PM.

#13 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

Of course you can use a toggle switch (stop calling it a missile switch, you sound like a chav) for hazard lights. Toggle switches are designed for industrial process control and so come in hundreds of different functions and pinouts. For the hazard switch you need a four pole double throw changeover type, get one and I'll tell you how to wire it. Hundreds of relays end up in cars because people can't be bothered to track down the right switch, the total load of the hazards is about 10 amps and a toggle switch can easily handle that. A relay is not needed. Oh, but Jammy is right it does need a telltale, which should have the warning triangle symbol on it. These are readily available from people that sell kit car parts.

Check all your wires and fuses as above first though. Look under the carpet, the reverse lamp switch is connected just under the heater and it's easy to disconnect it with your clutch foot.

Heheheh sorry... Got carried away after watching Dr. Strangelove. Will check the wires if anything.

Cheers dude!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users