Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Painting is underway!

Somehow feels unproductive only getting 2 coats on in most of a day. but it was all the fiddly bits, with a brush and I was answering hi-lo questions too :whistling:

Token pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skortchio, 16 August 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#32 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

With the back end up it give my little help plenty of engine bay access!!

Posted Image

#33 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

I reackon I could do with a couple of them, what are the hourly rates like?

The only bit of the car I actually have trouble getting at is the top centre of the screen and the roof. Not overly helpful while trying to paint said car of course, haha!

#34 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

If its any consolation, so do it!!!

#35 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'm kind of tempted to do a roof chop on the new project (when I get one), would make life easier...

Well, except for the getting in the car! :D

#36 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

A cursory inspection of yesterdays paint showed it to be still drying, which hindered the possibility for another coat so instead I set about prepping the bonnet (as I'd totally forgotten until now). No pictures of that, it's a bonnet with primer on - use your imagination! :lol:

After that was done I got cracking cutting in the edges, crevices and crannies that will be blue but won't be in the path of the roller. Mostly because I was short on time, feeling slightly unmotivated and needed something to spark my interest again.

So here's a couple of pics, colour wise I'm dead happy with it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

thats very errr blue, ha ha great colour mate doesnt look to rough of a finish either.

#38 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yes, yes it is!

Story behind the colour is that (as pictures show) the car was aluminium silver, always was from factory to me buying it. But in the cars 5 year hibernation the owner changed the colour to blue on the V5, whether it was planned to paint it or he looked at it under a clear sky at the seaside and saw the reflection isn't clear but as it needed a paint when I got it and I'm awful at artsy stuff, that made a decision for me.

The finish on those pics will be rough as I applied a fairly heavy coat to those areas, durability being more important than finish on the door step, arch lip, slam panel, etc.
Soon as it all goes off and I can flat the edges I'm going to start with the roller :w00t:

#39 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I like that blue! It's a good bold colour. I'm looking forward to following your roller job. I had wanted to do that but then changed to rattle cans.

Hugh

#40 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Today started in a bit of a 'meh' fashion, as it often does. With me poking about and considering the list of things needed to have the car mobile again and then sulking about it, consequently doing none of them.

Several coffee's and energy drinks later I was raring to go so set to work flatting back the black paint for its second coat, only to find that some bits were still tacky >_< Thinner mix next time me thinks.

So after a bit more of a huff and cutting in some more blue I decided I might as well mask off the black and get rolling as my original plan had gone to the crows!

The first plan was to follow BigMan's 50:50 ratio of paint / spirit, but on seeing how it had run when trying to paint a vertical surface ie. most of the car, I opted for a more traditional 85:15. Tomorrow will tell if it was a bit thick, initial thoughts say yes but only slightly.
Plenty more coats to try and perfect it with though :lol:

Todays work:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately my lift arrived just as I put the colour down on the left rear quarter so I couldn't skim over it or finish the passenger door / wing.

At least it's not yellow anymore though :rolleyes:

Edited by Skortchio, 17 August 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#41 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

That is very impressive!!

Hugh

#42 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Have to agree, great job. I take it from the other thread in the bodywork section it is hammerite you are using??

#43 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Have to agree, great job. I take it from the other thread in the bodywork section it is hammerite you are using??

Aww, thanks :shy:

It's Dulux trade paint (The other thread derailed a little :P)

Finish wasn't great when I left, smooth and a bit dimply but if it levels a bit more than it had then it won't be a bad finish. Either way I'll flat back and add the next coat, whether it's a thinner mix we depend on how it is tomorrow.

#44 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

How are you finding drying times between coats. I am going to use rustoleum thinned to about 20% but sprayed not rolled. Similar make up I presume to oil based dulux so could dry the same???

Graham

#45 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

The neat coat I put on the black areas and the cutting in on the blue took about a day, but I expected that.

I'll know in the morning how the 15% thinned differs, I'm guessing (hoping) they're much the same overall yeah.

I considered spraying for a better initial finish but rolling needs less paint, there's less mess, the coats are thicker too so assuming it levels well should be a good job aside from the drying time, spraying time will be much reduced when atomised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users