Photo

Hi, Newbie Here; Going To Buy A Mini And I Have A Few Questions...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 easytiger

easytiger
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi all, hoping to trade on the benefit of your experience; doing things the right way around (for a change) and joining a club BEFORE buying :) I drive an alfa 147 atm, really love it but it's hefty on fuel and I'm starting an MSc in Sept so I need cheap-ish insurance and good fuel consumption and also some reliability.

I have two kids still in booster seats and I also need, if possible, to get a folding bike in the back/roof/boot (although, frankly, I'd rather walk than have a soul-less eurobox). Is a bike rack possible or will a folding bike fit in the boot or on back seat?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 hawky443

hawky443

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

A mini really depends on how much you spend, I found this out the hard way! You've defiantly done the right thing "Inquire before buying" took me 2 years to find the right car for me but no matter how ill it is I wouldn't change a day! :)
There is plenty of help on here, for any problems encountered and if the guys on here cant diagnose they will point you in the right direction
Posted Image
Picture from a previous post

#3 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Right,

Reliability: Get a late model MPi Cooper, look for either restored ones or expensive ones, they're bad for rust. But on the trade of that they have the desirability of standard leather interior and airbag. Due to them being fuel injected like modern cars they are very reliable and you don't have to worry about fiddling with the choke or replacing distributor parts. They also have the auto inertia rear seat belts which is nice.

Again though they can be expensive.

Without a roof rack i think a bike is a bit optomistic, but plenty of roof racks are put on mini's and do look fantastic.

Look for restored cars! This way you wont have to worry about rust!

Here's some examples

An MPi: http://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_608wt_1220

Here's a lovely mk2; http://www.ebay.co.u...6#ht_879wt_1248

and a restored SPi (Similar engine to MPi but no airbag or inertia rear seat belts): http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a214687f7

If you need any help feel free to ask PM

Hope this helps..

Edited by Noah, 13 August 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#4 markwashington

markwashington

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi, good luck with the mini hunt. I've owned my 1998 Mpi for over 5 years and during that time I've run it as a second car for the most part. It's only since using it daily(ish) that stuff has gone wrong but it's all been a relatively easy fix. As above, go for a car that's been looked after and is as clean as you can possibly afford. The Mpi also has side impact bars which would make it safer for your children in the back. I've never put a bike rack on mine but I have never been able to fit a bike in the back. Either way make sure you drive a few before you buy. In my opinion my 1991 998 drove better than my current Mpi, I just like the way the Mpi looks better!

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

get yourself a clubman estate...........plenty of room for a pushchair..................and welcome :proud:

#6 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have an MPI, very reliable, very cheap to insure. The tinkering is a lot easier than a modern engine reducing the cost of labour IF something does go wrong. I have a friend that puts his bikes on the roof. or takes the front wheel off, and then the passenger seat out and jams it in there.

The thing is they are never going to be as practical as modern cars. But you learn to make do because they are so lovable and fun. Also as stated above... The MPI is the only model with a driver's airbag... Always nice. :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users