where is it ??? and how do you get the dam fing off grrrrrr >:ermm:

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

the sump plug is on the left of the gearbox sump as you look at it (the big bolt head toward the front.)

They should undo with a normal socket (unsure of size) if not get a bit of leverage with a bit of metal tube.

Have the container to catch the oil in ready, and undo the last couple of turns by hand and keep it pushed into the hole.

and watch out for oil going up your sleeve lol

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

bottom left corner as you look at the engine :ermm:

#4 will.i.am

will.i.am

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: nay

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

i know this is sumone elses thread but my sump plug is leakin,it is tight,could it be the metal washer??

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

you normaly have to take the bottom engine stedy too.

then big arse ajusty spanner and take it out. from the front of the lay on the floor so your head is toward the left of the car. big bolt down there.

i know this is sumone elses thread but my sump plug is leakin,it is tight,could it be the metal washer??

clear it all off the oil that is. then stick a bit of paper end the plug on the floor. leave it underneth then cheack again to see if it is leeking. if it is then look to see if you put the washer on. its either brass or copper. i think you can also get plastic one. if you can take the plug back out and see if the washer looks mangled and batted up. if so replace it. if not then it could be the thread in the sump.......in which case i have no idea what to do but someone will.

#6 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

[attachment=13869:attachment]PTFE plumbers tape over the threads might be of help. that and a new washer.

#7 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

I believe it is 24mm if that helps.

#8 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

No, no, no, minis do not use sockets or spanners in mm. You will strip the head of the bolt, ruin your socket/spanner and run the risk of injury from it slipping off the bolt/nut. You need a 15/16" socket.

You don't need to remove anything else such as engine steadies. There is nothing else in the way. You should just be able to remove it using a socket and normal ratchet. To loosen it you will need to pull the ratchet up towards you. (I only remember this as I ALWAYS end up smacking my forearm off the front panel!!!!!)

It's not a difficult job. Make sure you have a container ready and make sure the engine, and therefore the oil, is warm. It often helps to jack up the passenger side of the car too.

Don't forget to change the oil filter at the same time.

#9 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

ok thanks alot people

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

No, no, no, minis do not use sockets or spanners in mm.

Sometimes they do. The designs been changed a lot in 41 years and lots of the later parts are metric. You need both to work on Minis.

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:43 AM

24mm is only 0.007" [0.2mm] bigger than 15/16". You're not going to damage anything by using a 24mm wrench on 15/16". If it really worries you, stick with a 6-point socket.

As for the leak.... I have switched to a bonded rubber/metal seal on my car (MotorMite part number 365269) This is a metal ring with a thicker rubber ring in the center. It's officially a 14mm seal but it works wonderfully. You snug up the drain plug and it seals without excessive torque. These are ideal if you've got a scored or otherwise damaged sealing face on the sump. If you can't find these, supply houses over here sell ribbed nylon drain plug washers (also 14mm) that also work well. I'm sure you'll find similar products in the U.K.

#12 mini-mad-dan

mini-mad-dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

just a usefull tip if you use a ratchet to undo the last turns (do not use a ratchet for the first turns) tie either a cable tie or string to about 1/4 way down from the head of the ratchet and the oil won't run down your hand or up your sleeve, but down into the bowl-thingy :ermm:

#13 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

the times i have destroyed my wrist on the number/front panel. i use a longer rachet now :ermm:

#14 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

I believe it is 24mm if that helps.

thats right but i am sure it supposed to be the imperial equivelent :ermm:

#15 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

I always change the washer and i change my oil every 6,000 miles. It is worth changing the washer to provent it leaking, i have to remove my sump guard every time. Also i use a 24mm spanner.

Use a uni part oil filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users