Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hey,

I've just been on the blower to Minispares, who reckon that the boat carrying the whole UK supply of uprated oil pumps sank, so there's a shortage at the moment....

I spoke to another supplier who had no stock of uprated ones, but had plenty standard ones, so what I want to know is is there really a difference?

I've heard that the uprated ones don't pump any more oil (I believe Dan said that 60% of the oil pumped goes through the relief valve straight back into the sump anyway), but have higher build tolerances so are therefore more reliable.

So will I be ok putting a standard one into my 1293, which revs to 7k and at the moment has good oil pressure of 75psi at 3500 rpm and 55psi at idle when hot (the only reason I'm thinking of fitting a new pump is just because the engines coming out soon so I might as well do it while I've got the opportunity!)

Thanks

Tom

#2 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

Yes most of the oil on the uprated goes through the relief valve.

Just keep this in mind, more oil pumped = more force on pump = more wear on cam and pump drive. (I think thats the theory)

If you was going to do a turbo with undercrown jets and stuff the extra oil moved will be used making it a worth while upgrade but i think a standard one will be good enough for you.

Dont ask me though im no expert but im going standard with my engine build

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

Nowt wrong with a std pump

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

If you're using a standard pump inspect it thoroughly to make sure it actually meets the minimum tolerance. The quality of Rover pumps went so far downhill in the last few years of production that they were coming through out of tolerance when they were brand new (as in worn out without being worn). If it measures OK it'll be fine. I had a Sureflow pump once which was the other way around, it was so tight it wouldn't turn so uprated ones aren't always a good thing. Good job I inspected it before fitting it though, that would have caused all kinds of chaos.

Edited by Dan, 20 March 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

The oil pressure you have is fine, if a little high to be honest.

Any more than 60psi is just a waste of energy really. 55 at tickover is mighty impressive.

Standard pump is fine, I ran a standard 998 pump with a turbo and had no pressure or wear problems.

#6 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Standard is fine. Check it though as Dan has mentioned, and there are a few tweaks that can be done to tighten them up if need be - except if the lobes are knackered..

TTFN,
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users